Tebow, Barkley have one last audition

Eric Hartline, USA TODAY© Eric Hartline, USA TODAY Eric Hartline, USA TODAYTim Tebow and Matt Barkley have battled for the role of third quarterback on the Eagles for the past four months, knowing the loser would most likely be looking for a job with another team or in another league.

That battle is in its final days. Just one more preseason game remains for the Eagles, on Thursday against the Jets. Barkley said he was told he’s starting the game, and Tebow will most likely get the entire second half.

After the game, the Eagles coaches will convene and cut the roster from 75 to 53 by the NFL deadline of Saturday at 4 p.m.

Both Tebow and Barkley know what’s at stake. To NFL fans everywhere, this is the most meaningless of the four preseason games because most of the starters won’t play. That includes starting quarterback Sam Bradford and backup Mark Sanchez. But for those battling for one of the final roster spots, this is their Super Bowl.“I don’t feel any pressure at all,” Barkley said. “I don’t think it’s anything except an exciting opportunity. I’ve been in this place before to have to impress and move the ball down the field.”

Tebow said he felt the same way.

“I wouldn’t say [I’m] more nervous,” he said. “I always get excited, nervous for every time I step foot on the field for practice or a game.”

It’s clear that neither Barkley nor Tebow has separated himself in the three preseason games. Barkley is 23-for-43 passing for 306 yards with no touchdowns and one interception. Tebow is 10-for-19 for 97 yards with no TDs or interceptions.

Tebow has rushed 10 times for 50 yards with a touchdown. And the Eagles tried him on two 2-point conversion attempts Saturday night against Green Bay – both failed. That running ability could swing the decision in Tebow’s favor, although Tebow’s accuracy has always been a factor. He has completed just 47.9 percent of his passes in his career. That could explain why he hasn’t played in a regular season game since 2012. He was cut by New England in training camp in 2013.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who said this is a “big week” for Tebow, won’t keep both quarterbacks. He might not keep either, depending on the quarterbacks released from other teams.

“I’ve seen Tim improve since he got here,” Kelly said. “I’ve seen him improve his throwing motion … I think he’s really worked very hard at that, sequencing his throwing motion. I think he’s been a lot more accurate with his passes. He’s had a good camp.”

11 Responses to “Tebow, Barkley have one last audition”

Who is Eric Heartline: Never heard of him either and guess he is writing his last column, hopefully! Anything to get a response and is it obvious…reminds me of the “FINAL COUNTDOWN”, HAHA! Believe Tebow has his priorities right and will leave it at that…GO TEBOW!!!

Well, now I know who Eric Hartline is and he is just a photographer so whoever wrote the above story is the person that fits the description…oops.

David: Watched the video and can say at least this seems to be confirmed…”If Coach Kelly doesn’t want you, then you are gone!” Believe Coach Kelly is PRO-TEBOW! Thanks for the positive post too.:D

2. Danny says:

Eckel’s podcast released a couple of days ago discussed Tebow’s chances of making the 53 man roster. Any of the players/contacts he has in the organization say “It’s Tebow”.

CK, just look what Kelly did with LeSean McCoy, DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, good players who just didn’t fit in the system. I think if you look at what the team looks like now, they are going to be pretty good. Kelly is looking pretty smart now.

I absolutely believe that Kelly knows what he’s doing with all the personnel moves. He really wants Tebow to be a part of the team and to contribute.

He’s going to get to play with more players that are going to be on the team this year. I’m excited to see how he performs. Game time coming soon!

Respect Eckel’s opinion and he is a lot more “seasoned” than ESP. Remember reading where if anyone can improve a player’s performance, it would be Kelly (they said even Sancrapper was playing better under Coach K.).
      Feel like it is not only Tebow’s dream, but all of T’s fans also…agree w/u concerning that many of the leading indicators seem to point towards Tebow making the final roster.
      Have an Eagles #11 Jersey riding on T2 bringing his “A” Game AND, AS USUAL, WINNING!!! GBPTT!

Thanks for all the great comments, links etc! Go Tebow we all believe in you!

Nite fellow “night owls”…:) Lots of prayers for Tebow and all his fans.