Tim Tebow love affair reignites in Philly(Tks Brandi)

Must-Read article.

Buzzy Says : i Have Dial Up and stealing WiFi this about all i can Do.

56 Responses to “Tim Tebow love affair reignites in Philly(Tks Brandi)”

1. David Oliver says:

I Had trouble seeing this – Orlando paper would dump me if I did not sign up: Searched another way and was able to “Snap it”.

David Whitley: Tim Tebow love affair reignites in Philly

August 18th, 2015 10:00 am by BY DAVID WHITLEY, ORLANDO SENTINEL (TNS)

David Whitley: Tim Tebow love affair reignites in Philly
    In this Aug. 4, 2015, file photo, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Tim Tebow signs autographs for fans after practice at NFL football training camp in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

I love Tim Tebow.

I didn’t realize how much until Sunday. It had been two years since he appeared in a game.

A lot had changed. Could things ever be the same?

Tebow is 28 now and has been primarily a TV guy. The Eagles signed him in April, setting off national guffaws.

I laughed, too. Then Tebow returned to the field in the Eagles’ 36-10 win over the Colts, and I can’t help myself. So with apologies to 19th-century poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning …

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love the way you turned a meaningless preseason game into the No. 1 trending topic on Twitter. Even trendier than Donald Trump stepping in horse manure at the Iowa State Fair.

I love the way Philadelphia fans gave you a standing ovation. Of course, they also gave one to Michael Vick in his first game out of the federal hoosegow.

I love the way experts still think you’re the worst quarterback since Ryan Leaf.

I love the way fans still think you’re the best quarterback since Joe Montana.

I love the way you inspire the masses, like this Internet commenter — “It’s fun to watch a guy who enjoys playing instead of treating it like a job.”

I love the way you irritate the masses, like this Internet commenter — “If Tebow wasn’t a bible-thumper, you wouldn’t give two [bleeps] about him succeeding.”

I love the way you completed five of your first six passes, utilizing your new-and-improved throwing motion and crisp defensive reads.

I love the way you did not complete five of your last six passes, utilizing your old-and-erratic throwing motion and jittery indecisiveness.

I love the way your jersey was the NFL’s16th-best seller going into camp, more popular than Marshawn Lynch’s, Tony Romo’s and any QB within 100 miles of Philly’s roster.

I love the way people say you succeeded Sunday against scrubs who’ll be in the Arena League next year.

I love the way people say you were held back Sunday by a supporting cast that will be bagging groceries at Publix next month.

I love the way you took time Saturday to tweet, “URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: …” for a girl battling leukemia.

I love the way you dove over Colts safety Winston Guy for a 7-yard touchdown.

I love the way you showed people like me who doubted we’d ever see that again.

I love the way you never doubted yourself.

I love the way you got out of New England before Tom Brady asked to use your cellphone to text the equipment guys.

I love the way people think Chip Kelly is Einstein for signing you to play in his unorthodox system.

I love the way people think Chip Kelly is Bozo for signing you to play in any system.

I love the way true believers are saying you’ll now become the starter, lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl and talk Iran into giving up its nukes.

I love the way true non-believers are saying the second that Kelly sobers up you’ll be told to pack your bags and go back to “Good Morning America” once and for all.

I love the way all I have to do is write “Tebow” and both sides go to their corners and come out throwing horse manure at each other.

I love the way you savored your return more than anybody.

“It’s a blessing to put in work for something and to be able to get to a point where you’re back,” you said. “You’re playing ball. You’re having fun. It’s a blessing and something I’m very thankful for.”

After two years away, I love that not much has changed at all.

———

Read more: David Whitley: Tim Tebow love affair reignites in Philly | Kingsport Times-News http://www.timesnews.net/article/9091051/david-whitley-tim-tebow-love-affair-reignites-in-philly#ixzz3jCEExCWZ
    Follow us: @timesnewsonline on Twitter | timesnews on Facebook

David O.: Thanks for posting as I was unable to read it b/c they wanted a subscription…at least you found a way around it, ha, ha!

Here’s a nice podcast. Guys being more fair to Tebow here than other places.

Did Tebow do something mean to Chris Simms? Heard a CBS interview with Phil Simms today, where Phil was pretty calous in his dismissal of Tim’s value or ability to perform in the NFL.

What surprises me is the contrast between that and how Phil Simms sounded in 2011, when he seemed pretty respectful.

Man, it’s amazing how much people prefer cookie cutter quarterbacks. If you like all the players to be the same, why not just play foosball at the arcade???

• David says:

Phil Simms sounds drunk and I’ve heard him criticize Tim Tebow before on other shows. When he played he had more interceptions than TDs in his first 2 years and never scored more than 22 TDs passing in 14 years. It took him 6 years to raise his completion percentage from 48% to 55%. When he was the starter for the Giants he threw 18-22 interceptions 3 years in a row. He said he doesn’t look at stats and I believe it because Tebow’s 19 passing with 9 interceptions and 15 rushing TDs greatly exceeds anything he has done.

Has anyone heard if Tim is getting more reps? I wish Chip would at least put him in with the two’s if not the one’s just to see what he can do with good players versus fourth string which most will never make the team! Go Tebow! Buzzy sorry your internet is down, our desktop crashed waiting on recovery CD’s to come hoping that is all that is wrong.

Tawk2: Heard he received more reps and they are considering changing roster of QBs plus, Kelly is impressed w/Tebow’s preseason play!:D

Thanks Buzzy

6. David says:

Buzzy, if your computer will not boot to Windows you can press F8 as the machine boots to enter Safe Mode and get a command prompt. Then do a System Restore to an earlier date. It’s described here in Method 2.
    with this method you reset your computer to an earlier date that was before you had a problem and you don’t lose your files. You don’t need backup disks for this method.

• Lynn B. says:

If that does not work try just letting it sit a week and then upgrade your anti-virus definitions and run a scan. Sometimes when a new virus hits the web it takes a few days for the techs to find an answer and get it disseminated. A year or so ago I was been told my several people including several professional tech people that I had to do a complete system restore and wipe my hard drive clean, but my problem was a new virus and I am so thankful I had the good sense to not be hasty. It ended up being an inconvenience and nothing more.

• David says:

Lynn, I just noticed this comment from Buzzy at the top of this page. It looks like his computer is working but his DSL is down.
        “Buzzy Says : i Have Dial Up and stealing WiFi this about all i can Do.”
        Restart the DSL router and the wireless router if they are separate.

7. David says:

Here are the highlights from Shurmur’s press conference Wednesday:
    – On Tim Tebow’s possibly getting playing time with the No. 3 offense Saturday:
    “It’s in pencil. We had some ideas about how we’re going to change the quarterback rotation. We haven’t solidified it yet. We really expect the quarterbacks to go out and perform, regardless of who they’re playing with. We feel like whether you’re playing behind the second, third or fourth line, we expect the quarterbacks to perform.”
    Video

8. David says:

Wednesday Report Card
    Tebow and Barkley both have 8 TDs in camp. Tebow has 1 Int and Barkley has 5 Ints.

• David says:

Correction-Barkley has 9 TDs

I’ve got nothing against Barkley, but would just like to see the league make use of Tim’s unique talent and drive.

Guys who can do what Barkley has done (so far) are almost a dime a dozen. Leadership and competitive drive are what are more interesting to me. Brady has it.

Getting across the finish- or goal-line is a skill that Tebow has always practiced. I remember his first preseason game in Denver, against the Cincinatti Bengals. He was nearly strip-sacked, just like his critics said would happen, due to a long wind-up. But he got the ball again and threw passes on a rope. At the end of the game he scored a “useless” touchdown by running into the endzone, injuring 2 ribs as well as 2 Cincinatti Bengals. A lot of people thought that was silly. But I know what Tebow thought: This is my first NFL action, and I WILL get in the endzone.

That was another goal set and accomplished by Tim. Something he would build on.

Is there just one NFL team with a coach smart enough to put Tim to work? There are championships to be gained. It isn’t a “maybe” thing. It’s quite definite, I think.

• David says:

Sage, I agree. The intangibles and dual talented Tebow is a plus on any team. I’m wishing Barkley well also and have prayed for both of them. God will work it out.

• David says:

It was a pick 6 that Barkley threw today.

Matt Lombardo @MattLombardo975
      Barkley picked off by Zachary Orr and returned for a touchdown.

Eliot Shorr-Parks ✔ @EliotShorrParks
      Shocker — Barkley with another INT. Right to the #Ravens LB.

David: Ouch…that is BAAAAAAAAAAD!!! Especially, when it is a pick 6 w/Barkley! Think he is the ONLY ONE so far w/that fantastic stat! His trade value sure is diminishing even w/more reps!

9. Brewier says:

I found a QBR tool on the internet and ran the quarterback stats for training camp as published by Eliot Shorr-Parks. He gives everything needed except for total yards passing so I used 5 yards per completion for all four quarterbacks.

For all training camp, this is how the ratings look:

Bradford – 107.2
    Sanchez – 99.21
    Barkley – 83.52 – include 1 rushing touchdown – 86.27
    Tebow – 82.9 – include 3 rushing touchdowns – 91.52

Today’s ratings:
    Bradford – 122.9
    Sanchez – 123.0
    Barkley – 59.77
    Tebow – 119.9

10. Cartman says:

Regarding the diminished reps, here’s some guy’s theory (from the comments of an ESP nj.com report card. Even though it is pure conjecture and possibly wishful thinking, it is an appealing thought:
    ***************************
    Leon Davis
    1 day ago

@Onshava I would guess it’s because Chip has settled on Tebow as an insurance policy against Bradford’s knee.

Tim Tebow thrives on pressure. That raises his game.

There’s also the fact that Tebow is enormously popular with the fans, and “enormously” is a fine understatement.

Philadelphia fans are the most rowdy on the planet. If Bradford goes down and Sanchez screws the pooch – as is his wont – Philly fans will rip Chip a new one for getting rid of Tebow. They’ll send him back to college with his tail between his legs.

Sanchez wants to start. If not for the Eagles, somewhere. Anywhere. Chip could have a deal going with him. “I’ll give you the reps as long as you do well. Then I’ll trade you to a team that will start you.”

I keep think Sanchez will reunite with “Rex the Wonder Coach”.

That way, Tebow is juiced in for the #2 slot. Bradford will have to start winning games with Tebow breathing down his neck.

Barkley will be kept on as a “camp arm”.
    ****************************************

• David says:

Cartman, I’ve always thought Kelly would be risking his career by cutting Tebow. Your point about the fan reaction is a good one. The best solution is to get rid of one of the two QBs that have a history of interceptions. That would be Sanchez or Barkley. However, Barkley and Kinne can go to the practice squad until the Eagles get an offer for them. Kelly can keep 5 QBs and only activate 2 of them on game day.

• Cartman says:

Just to be clear, the comments were someone else’s. When I read them however, I smiled to myself and thought “dream come true” and thought they might be well received here.

Personally, however, I don’t see Sanchez as a “winner”. And I don’t think he’ll ever develop into one. He’s a choker, in my opinion. And when the chips are down I think he’ll turn the ball over. I know he started his career well. But going forward I don’t see him leading a team deep into the playoffs.

I see the size of his contract getting in the way of him being traded, however. Of course I would love to be wrong.

That said, there are places for him in the NFL where he would likely do better than the current starter. I’m pretty sure the Eagles are not interested in doing less crappy than under a really crappy QB, or willing to settle for an 8/8 season. Unlike, say, Jacksonville. Which has, in my opinion, been quite willing to settle for losing seasons of late. For whom Sanchez and an 8/8 season would be a success.

Still, it seems like a stretch or Kelly would never have given Sanchez such a rich contract for a backup.

And as a final aside since I haven’t posted here for a while, I think Tom Brady is innocent. I am a lawyer and have looked into the information available with some interest. And it looks to me like a railroad job. I guess a guy like Goodell seems great when the other guy’s ox is being gored, but if I were an owner I would worry that if my team ever became a dynasty, other jealous owners could get this guy to ruin my team and reputation. I rather have it fair across the board. Goodell would be fired if I were king for a day. Just my personal opinion.

• David says:

I agree on Sanchez who has had over 24 turnovers in his last 3 seasons. His play in the preseason game after getting all of the 1st team reps for weeks was atrocious.
          I saw Mojo on Dameshek’s show today bashing Tebow for picking the Jets over Jax. I think the last thing Tebow said was that he didn’t have a choice. It contradicted Elway who later said they got Tim’s input.
          On the Brady situation, I was believing it at first until I read the AEI report that totally discredited the Wells report. I believe Brady is innocent also. I saw this aricle today.

• brandi says:

While the NFL is spinning its wheels and running what’s left of its reputation into the ground with DeflateGate, Major League Baseball spun off BAM Tech as a stand-alone Media operation that is valued at $8 Billion at the starting gate. NHL is a partner and minority owner. ESPN, NCAA and HBO are all Partners.

You’re right about it being a railroading job…and a really botched one at that. They didn’t even do a good job of Court Shopping as Judge Berman sounds almost as ticked off as a die-hard Patriots Fan at how the NFL has gone about all this.

• Cartman says:

I suppose if you’re a die-hard Pats hater you support Goodell. But I’m a west coast guy and never thought about the Pats one way or another. Once you get away from the press and look at some of the documents and formal rebuttals the case against Brady is so weak I give it too much credit calling it a “case”. The only thing that gave me pause was Brady destroying his cell phone. But then I was leaked personal emails of Brady unrelated to football and I knew Mr. Bundchen was right to destroy the phone and protect the privacy of him and his wife. Maybe he had a dirty or racist joke on it. No doubt it would have been used to embarrass him. And from what I’ve seen he asked if he was required to preserve the phone and was told no. And it was apparently discussed that giving up the phone would set up a bad precedent for other players in the future as the current rules and agreements didn’t require it.

The NFL and Goodell has, in my opinion, made the NFL look as crooked as boxing used to be.

11. David Oliver says:

Interesting Tebow “NEWS”

Tim Tebow breaks up fight at Eagles-Ravens joint practice

There was nearly a fight between the Eagles and Ravens at their joint practice until Tim Tebow intervened.

• David says:

Leadership. Give Tebow another 2 weeks and he’ll have that 3rd and 4th string squad ready for the playoffs. Thx David O.

I completely agree. It would be neat if Chip recognizes that.

It was intriguing when Tebow connected on 3 TD passes to Quentin Sims during the Patriots preseason. Sims didn’t even survive in the league, but Tebow helped him to be productive. They helped each other, of course.

Speaking of leadership. My theory has been that you could take the worst 2 players on every NFL team and put them onto a single team. Of those, several would become leaders and very effective. The dynamics of groups and leadership are really interesting.

David O.: If Kely can’t see how valuable Tebow is and how popular he then he needs to pay closer attention jmo! Thanks for the link too! Tebow is justified in making the team and has all the credentials in place plus a ton of LEADERSHIP SKILLS!!! GO TEBOW!!!

• David Oliver says:

Another Report from “TIME” ..

Tim Tebow Breaks up Fight Between Ravens and Eagles

The players parted like “the Red Sea,” according to onlookers !!

Tim Tebow might be famous for his prayer crouch, dubbed “Tebowing,” at NFL games. But the Philadelphia Eagles player might want to add “diplomacy” to his list of skills.

Tebow’s team was co-practicing with the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday when, for unclear reasons, a fight broke out between the teams. The quarterback then stepped in, according to Sports Illustrated, and cooled tempers.

David O.: Heard it was “DIVINE INTERVENTION” of sorts and no disrespect intended…example in actions and that is TEBOW!:D

Looks like they will be playing on Saturday so, hopefully, Tebow will get to play w/2nds at least!!!

• David Oliver says:

And I believe it will be National Televised Via THE NFL Network,
      except in areas considered local to Philly(excluded from this
      NFL NATIONAL channel Broadcast) that will be on diverse local TV stations in parts of “local broadcast area?”.

David O.: Looks like it is only available on NFL Channel at 7:00 p.m., unfortunately. Think Buzzy had a link to watch on internet and, hope, it is still available.
        Read where Coach Kelly continues to be impressed w/Tebow going into preseason games! GREAT NEWS FOR TEBOW AND PRAYING HE OVERCOMES ALL OBSTACLES AS WELL AS HAVING FAVOR!!!

• David says:

It’s still speculation but Tebow may be moved up. Sanchez played bad enough to be moved down. One tweeter said that the crowd at practice chanted “Play Tebow with the ones!”

Speculation, but positive, at least. We were hearing months ago that Chip cared about the culture. With no disrespect to Sanchez, I’d find Tebow a lot better for that purpose than Sanchez.

13. David Oliver says:

Buzzy.. Hope your are “connected” again soon with SITE.
    I Like this “REPORT”.. by “ESP”

Could Eagles’ Tim Tebow play ahead of Matt Barkley vs. Baltimore Ravens?

14. Andrea says:

Sorry to hear Buzzy is having computer problems. When I have computer issues I am totally lost.

I was hoping to watch Tebow Saturday but if it is on the NFL network I will not be able to see it.

I’m down in Ocean City MD and I was on the boardwalk and I saw a couple of young men wearing Tebow jerseys.

Of course the young men were well behaved.

GO TEBOW !!!!

15. Pamelot says:

I love it, too, Mr. Whitley.

16. Cartman says:

“Source” says Kelly increasingly “excited” about Timmy. Barring any disasters he’s slotted to make team. But this is from ESPN — now famous for info about deflategate from “sources”, which turned out to be total BS. YMMV.

17. brandi says:

For what it’s worth…

I have begun doing a deep QB analysis on how Quarterbacks are Rated, how Starting QBs are chosen, how the big contracts are dished out and what, if anything, it has to do with actually Winning Football Games.

So far, I have looked at Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler and Cam Newton and it doesn’t look good for the “powers that be” in either the GM Offices or NFL Media Analysts, Commentators, etc.

Sam is a wash against his Back-Ups. Rams Won as much without him as with him. Jay actually has done less than the QBs before him and his Back-Ups while with the Bears. Cam has one more Win than his predecessors during the same time period and the two Games in his Career he’s been out his Back-Up, Derek Anderson significantly outperformed him. In fact, Derek is the reason (besides crazy weak division) Panthers made Playoffs last year going 2-0 while Cam was 5-6-1.

I’m put a full article together on it when I’m done with my analysis. But this thing about NFL being a “Quarterback League” anymore than any other level of Football is false. The QB Rankings are probably very misleading. The $80-100M Contracts to most of these QBs has been a total waste of time and money. (more to follow)

Great subject. My memory is that Jake Plummer improved for 3 straight seasons under Shanahan, won 70 percent of games, and performed very effectively except in the 2005 AFC championship when Ken Whizenhunt and the Steelers exploited the Broncos with some good trick plays.

Shanahan was never the same. He got impatient and drafted Cutler. That completely doused Plummer’s motivation. Don’t remember Cutler’s games precisely, but I was thinking there were 3 straight seasons where if he had won just one of the last 3 games the Broncos would have made the playoffs. And of course he didn’t.

My only real point is that Cutler was just miserable when it came to doing the key things it took to win big games and get to the playoffs. Tim Tebow is the polar opposite. I wish more people would recognize that.

I’ll be surprised if Tebow plays much at all tonight. There are 4 QBs on the roster, and Chip hasn’t shown yet that he thinks it’s strategically important to showcase Tebow.

Possibly Chip will want to feature Barkley, for trade purposes. Or possibly Tebow isn’t in Chip’s plans. We’ll see. I’m hoping for the best.

Thought they were going to change QB roster and that Tebow would be in before Barkley so that was just rhetoric probably…praying Tebow lites it up!!! GO TEBOW!!!

So much of what teams say is b.s. It’s like they enjoy toying with us.

True enough. Trying not to always drink the Kool-Aid, ha, ha!

• David Oliver says:

I did hear something to the effect they were trying
            to keep at least the 2nd team offensive line in longer
            in the game to supposedly mitigate the “unfair” qb
            comparison aspect.. how much they did this in realit ..
            I do NOT know…

I am sure the politics you guys mention transcend our
            concerns for a level QB comparison “playing field..

19. David says:

The NFL values completion percentage more than scoring with few interceptions.
    Tebow threw 19 TDs in 374 attempts with 47.3%, 9 ints averaging a TD every 19.6 attempts 15.3 yards per completion scoring every 9.3 completions QBR 78.49
    Bradford threw 18 TDs in 590 attempts with 60%, 15 ints averaging a TD every 32.77 attempts 9.92 yards per completion scoring every 19.66 completions. QBR 76.46
    The QBR system of rating QBs is rigged to favor high completion percentages. Tebow scored more times than Bradford with 216 fewer pass attempts and fewer interceptions and only rated 2 points higher. The NFL QBR formula is trash to put it mildly. It penalizes QBs that pass aggressively and score often. It rewards QBs that throw less than 10 yards and rarely score.

• brandi says:

The QBR is kind of a mess. The attempt to make it more Game relevant didn’t help. They took an assumption of averages for every factor, most of which have as much as 20% deviations. On top of that it takes an assumption of what each factor is worth based again, on an assumption of averages, with even higher deviation probabilities.

Then finally they average together all the averages and come up with a score total. When they compare QBR to QBR head-to-head in actual games it comes out at about 80%.

But folks if I tell you what probably prompted the changes you’re gonna flip. I’ll let NBC’s Pro Football Talk tell you instead.