Chip Kelly on Tim Tebow: ‘He’s really progressed’

FOX Sports

JUN 17, 2015 2:40p ET

Jun 17, 2015; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Tim Tebow (11) throws the ball in front of quarterback Matt Barkley (2) during minicamp at The NovaCare Complex. Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

Tim Tebow (No. 11) continues chasing the QB dream in the NFL. Can he really land a roster spot in Philly?

Through each stage of the Eagles’ offseason program so far, quarterbackTim Tebow has shown enough improvement to catch head coach Chip Kelly’s attention. After working with former MLB pitcher Tom House to improve his mechanics, Kelly noted that Tebow was throwing the ball much better during the Eagles’ OTA practices.

After Monday’s minicamp session, Kelly praised Tebow’s ability to pick up his complicated offensive scheme.

“He’s progressed. He’s really progressed,” Kelly said of Tebow after practice, per True Jersey. “It’s tough on a first-year quarterback (in this system). You saw a little bit last year with Mark (Sanchez). We throw our quarterbacks in the deep end.

“They could be ready to go. They drop back and then a rookie receiver runs the wrong route. They’re looking for him where he’s supposed to be, and he’s at the other side of the field. You have to deal with a lot of variables.

“I have seen improvement from Tim from the day we got him in terms of his knowledge of what we’re doing, getting used to the way we do things. What we do is different from anything he’s done in the past. But each week you’ve seen an incremental bump and then some. I’m excited to see where that takes him as we move forward. It will be a good competition when we get to camp.”

Tebow will continue to battle it out for a spot on the Eagles’ roster at the quarterback position, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be used elsewhere. Kelly hasn’t denied the possibility of using Tebow in unique offensive and special teams packages. Knowing what we do about Kelly’s tenure as head coach, I wouldn’t expect to learn of these packages being used any time soon.

(H/T True Jersey)

25 Responses to “Chip Kelly on Tim Tebow: ‘He’s really progressed’”

1. David Oliver says:

Buzzy – Great article!

Quotes from right from the “Horse’s Mouth” – Directly..

Not some Pseudo Expert, or Hater Interpretation of Tim’s alleged Status

of his Eagle Team Reality – but “He’s progressed – He’s really

progressed,” QUOTE.. from Chip Kelly himself !!!

I LOVE IT … “IT’s Tim Tebow – “Opportunity Time” with the Eagles!

David O.: Now this coach is EXCITED!!! Amen to all of the above!!!

• Gary Schneider says:

I agree. When all the smoke clears it would not surprise me to see Tim be the starter on opening day. If Tim is anywhere close to Mark Sanchez as far as knowing the system and with his throwing, then Tim’s mobility gives him a huge edge over Sanchez.

Nice. Comments re/ Tim are at the end of this video.

David: Like the video link. 🙂

• TheMascotArmy says:

Thanks. It’s great to see quotes spoken to get a sense of the nonverbal information.
      It’s also nice having chip emphasize the obstacle of having new wrs whowho don’t know what they’re doing. The writers have been dismissing the importance of this when comparing qbs.

• Gary Schneider says:

Exactly. When Tim was in New England he was always playing with the third string guys. Writers some how seem to forget that.

• David Oliver says:

TheMascotArmy..

Yes – This IS a Very Significant OMISSION on their Part!!

David O.: Definitely agree w/u on that…they are good at reporting misinformation instead of facts where T2 is concerned. At least there are some (i.e., a few) reporters who are actually trying to be nonbiased when stating accurate info. as well as being honest for a change!!!

Thanks all, seems like such good news, hopefully we all will be on the edge of our seats come game time, GO TEBOW!

Sorry I have not been on, two days after getting my eighth cast off on May 28th I had a bad fall, set my pt back a few weeks so my tail bone and foot can heal up, I am such a clutz! I wanted to take a real shower instead of another sponge bath downstairs, my foot was not ready, learned my lesson.

Thanks again for all the great info on Tim, bless Tim and all here!

3. bubbaelvis says:

Mini-camp ended today so it will be August until Tim gets back to team practice. In the mean time, I would bet that he will work with House some during his off time. I feel good about his chances in Philly. I think he has already made it and the question is now who is gone Sanchez or Barkley. Although, I am not sure if Barkley can go to the practice squad. If that is the case they may keep all four. Chip will need them as he has 2 fragile QB’s in Bradford and Sanchez. Things will look a lot different in pads and once the offense is in full speed. Tebow is beyond great in the spread sets, no huddle, 2-minute type offense. Chips offense is like that all game long. I can’t wait.

4. Bigfan says:

No doubt Timmy has had some revelations on exactly where he needs work.

You can bet Timmy has a full agenda between now and August 2nd and gettin’ a little better every day is one.

5. Bigfan says:

August 1st that is! Timmy’s gonna go see the folks then I bet here on the West Coast back with Tom House and the USC receivers working on the ruff edges and nose in play book; he is in full win mode. He’ll be seen with his brother at night some place. It is all about making the 53 man roster!!

6. TheMascotArmy says:

I’d bet he organizes some practices with Philly WRs between now and August, especially the ones he’ll be playing with most.

7. lex says:

tawk2—i concur with the others with sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery. be careful! falls are terrible. i hope you have some grab bars in that bathroom of yours.