• Eagles Tebow Sanchez.jpg

FILE – In this Dec. 5, 2014, file photo, Tim Tebow speaks during an SEC television broadcast in Atlanta. Tebow is expected to sign a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday, April 20, 2015 according to three people familiar with the deal. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson, File)

“Not again,” Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Mark Sanchez would be excused for thinking.

Despite being separated by less than two hours on the New Jersey Turnpike, the Eagles don’t seem to have paid attention to what occurred to the New York Jets a few years ago.

Tim Tebow is expected to sign a one-year contract with the Eagles on Monday, according to three people familiar with the deal. The people spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity Sunday because the contract hasn’t been finalized.

Tebow hasn’t played in the NFL since 2012, when he played for the Jets as a backup to Sanchez, and the team suffered from a perpetual quarterback controversy. The team finished 6-10 and, in many ways, hasn’t yet recovered.

This time around, neither Tebow nor Sanchez is the likely starter – that would be the former St. Louis Rams passer, Sam Bradford, whom the Eagles traded for during the offseason.

After his time with the Jets, Tebow was released by the New England Patriots before the 2013 season and spent last year working in television as an analyst for the SEC Network and ESPN.

Despite being out of the league, the 27-year-old Tebow remained one of the most popular players around. He has a legion of fans who follow him because of his strong Christian beliefs.

The former Heisman Trophy winner led Florida to two national titles and was a first-round pick by Denver in 2010. He started 16 games during two seasons with the Broncos, including a playoff victory over Pittsburgh in January 2012. Tebow was traded to the Jets after Denver signed Peyton Manning.

The 27-year-old Tebow joins quarterbacks Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Matt Barkley and G.J. Kinne on Philadelphia’s roster. The addition of Tebow would be the latest move in a stunning offseason for coach Chip Kelly. He traded Nick Foles, LeSean McCoy and allowed Jeremy Maclin to leave in free agency.

Tebow worked out for the Eagles last month and Kelly later said he’s always “been a fan of Tim.”

Tebow had some success in Denver, but his inaccurate passing and lack of pocket presence was an issue. His strength has been running the ball or improvising. Tebow has completed just 47.9 percent of his passes for 2,422 yards, 17 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He has 989 yards rushing, a 5.0 average yards per carry and 12 TDs.

Tebow worked with former major league pitcher Tom House on improving his mechanics. He joins the Eagles in time to start their offseason program this week.

Based on reporting by The Associated Press

17 Responses to “Tim Tebow expected to sign with the Eagles; deja vu all over again for Mark Sanchez”

I believe there is only one question worth asking-

Who will Tebow play against in Super Bowl 50?

2. Lynn B. says:

Does anyone have the Eagles’ spring schedule?

Buzzy Says : Be out tomorrow.

Exciting news! I just hope Tim truly gets a chance to compete. Had to turn off NFL AM tired of most there knocking Tim! Fingers crossed that things work out great for Tim. I will buy a jersey when I know he truly has made the team! Go Tebow!

4. TheMascotArmy says:

There have been two Tebow related QB “controversies.” The one that started Tebow went from 1-4 to the playoffs, the one that benched Tebow sucked and everybody was eventually fired.
    Starting Tebow was the right move both times, and now Tebow is even better than he was.

The haters sound like broken records with their (unknowingly to them) superficial “comp %, QBR, not signed” talk, and now they don’t even have the not signed point. They’re scared because their egos, reputations, and snark are on the line once again.

What’s funny is the “circus” this time around is large majority haters…haters who dont realize that THEY are the circus, and that they look like fools professing how uninterested they are in Tebow while simultaneously commenting on every Tebow tweet and story.

I don’t know much about Chip Kelly’s offense, but I’ve always assumed Tebow was the type of player who could make it fly.

Recently I read that Kelly believes team “culture” is a big key to success. Can’t imagine a player better for a team’s culture than Tebow. The Broncos’ defense and special teams showed some life when Tebow got involved.

• brandi says:

Chip Kelly is a College Coach. Cohesiveness of the Team carries alot of weight with him. As does an attitude of Winning. They say the NFL is all about Winning. But far too many Teams make decisions for other reasons. And because of the intense Media attention in the NFL issues get magnified fast. When a Team decides to keep a Player who has off-field issues because they don’t want to take the salary Cap hit if they cut him and no other team wants the headache, the damage done to the Team chemistry can become huge. But nobody will ever say anything because Team chemistry is usually a taboo topic. The Player has “skills” and ONLY “skills” win games.

It is absolute BS. But it is the BS the NFL has chosen to accept and because of it NFL Media has also. Nobody wants to really talk about how important all of those “intangibles”, whether Team Unity or individual Player are because NFL GMs don’t like to play those things up. They don’t fit neatly on a checklist and spreadsheet. Most Coaches know exactly how important these intangible things are and how often they are not only the difference between Winning and Losing but the difference between a mediocre to good Season and one that completely unravels into a total ugly mess. This is why Brian Billick won’t go back, Jon Gruden won’t go back and is at least part of the decisions by Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher.

This is also one reason why it’s so hard to get Great College Coaches. They already have the ability to do things the way they think are best. A Player disrupts a Team Meeting he doesn’t suit up. He misses curfew, he doesn’t suit up. He doesn’t have the Athletic Director telling him how much they paid that Player to watch from home.

This is the first year Chip Kelly has been told he can do whatever he thinks is necessary. Players, culture, practice approach, all of it.

Sage; Was reading up on his background also and they stated that he is all about character and, yes, he is able to back it up by example; i.e., STOIC…plus, he is good friends w/Urban M. Makes sense impo.

Very happy for Tim Tebow and ALL his fans, including us! Thanks Buzzy for keeping us posted too. 🙂

I agree with you! We all stuck together and never quit believing!

On a side note I suffer from extreme night terrors created from my horrid abusive past, they seem to be worse lately, anyone with any ideas to help? I already see a therapist, I won’t take meds to make me sleep, I have a very bad medicine phobia. It is so great to come here and hear great news, you all even though we have never met are family, I appreciate all your input, comments and prayers. I even backed off my pain pills so I don’t get sleepy so now I stay in extreme pain pretty much all the time. I have my post opp in two days will bring up all this with my surgeon then, thanks again for caring!

About rumors other teams wanted Tim I truly believe that, who knows that supposed to be April fools joke about the forty miners wanting to sign Tim possibly may have been true and just maybe Tim turned them down!

Thanks Buzzy and all here for always keeping us all posted and in the loop all things Tebow!

We all stand Tebow united! Oh I did notice not mentioning any names one person has not popped in to comment since this great news!

Hi Tawk2! Yes, it is really something to CELEBRATE AND A LONG TIME COMING TOO, I MIGHT ADD!!! 🙂 As far as “you know who” is concerned, it looks like all the PRO TEBOW NEWS WAS A BIT MUCH SO, A MUCH NEEDED DISAPPEARING ACT OF SOME SORT WAS IN ORDER, LOL!

On another note, so very sorry to hear of all you are going through and the best I can come up with is a saying that has stood the test of time:
        “THIS TOO SHALL PASS!” Keeping you in my thoughts and prayed the other night for u also. Share your sentiments exactly. (II Timothy 1:7)