Mark Sanchez: Tebow is another arm while Bradford recovers

Originally written on Larry Brown Sports  |  Last updated 4/25/15

Mark Sanchez does not seem to think Tim Tebow can make the Eagles’ roster. Elsa/Getty Images

By Steve DelVecchio

Now that they have signed Tim Tebow to a one-year contract, the Philadelphia Eagles have a very crowded depth chart at the quarterback position. Assuming Tebow isn’t going to play another position, there is no way he, Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez and Matt Barkley all make the 53-man roster.

Did Sanchez already hint that Tebow doesn’t have a shot?

“He’s obviously a great guy, he works hard. And we needed another guy to throw while (Sam Bradford is) still recovering,” Sanchez said after taking batting practice with the Philadelphia Phillies on Friday, per CSNPhilly.com. “So that’s the reason (for the signing), at least as explained to me. We’re excited about the upcoming year and I think we have a great group.”

Sanchez, of course, chose to re-sign with the Eagles this offseason rather than pursue a starting gig elsewhere. He would hate to think that someone could come in and compete with him for the No. 2 job behind Bradford, and the odds are stacked against Tebow given how his NFL career has played out thus far.

Earlier this week, new Eagles vice president of player personnel Ed Marynowitz said the team was “intrigued” by the improvement they saw from Tebow after bringing him in for a workout. Marynowitz also insisted Tebow will have a chance to compete for a roster spot, though it doesn’t seem like Sanchez has been led to believe that is the case.

The likelihood of Tebow stealing Sanchez’s job as primary backup is not high. Despite what this opposing player said about Sanchez, the former USC star played well last season after Nick Foles went down with an injury. Sanchez seems like he is one of Chip Kelly’s guys. Time will tell if the same can be said for Tebow.

16 Responses to “Mark Sanchez: Tebow is another arm while Bradford recovers”

Sanchez is such a wimp and whiner! He should have been yanked while playing for the Jets he played awful and everyone knows this. Yes he has done better under Kelley but he still freezes in clutch moments and has way to many interceptions! I am glad that he is the coach now, he knows in his heart that Tebow is way better than him and he is scared. I have no respect for this guy and this unfounded story only concretes that!

I hope Tim blows Sanchez out of the water, GO TEBOW!

• LuitLipton says:

Sanchez is scared. Would absolutely love to see Chips thought pattern and see if he’s thinking “Rex, watch this. You wouldn’t give Tim a fair shot at competing, I’m gonna resign Sanchez and believe in Tim and have a legit competition.” May the best man win!

2. brandi says:

The NFL sent out this tweet.

If you follow the link on the tweet, it goes to a column on NFL.com

(Here’s that link for convenience)

That article is accompanied with a video talking about how Eagles might plan on using Tim. The article itself pretty much says “What are you smoking Mark?”

I agree with you all, thanks for the links brandi.

I have a favor of all here, could you please keep my father in your prayers, he was admitted for chest pains, under observation, his doctor said EKG was good but does not know what is wrong. I am so worried about him, and just having major foot surgery again I can’t travel. I know prayers do work, thanks to all of you for always caring!

Prayers being sent your way Tawk2.

Looks like Baltimore City is about to explode. I remember the Baltimore riots in 1968.

What a cowardly thing to say and so much for class! Hope he gets what is coming to him…benched in favor of a true NFL QB…TEBOW!!!

6. Bigfan says:

Sanchez’s Dad ought-ta give him a spanking for such a classless statement. I know he raised him better than that.

• brandi says:

As the campaign went on to try to make Tim look like a joke, higher percentages of people started saying he got treated shabbily by the NFL and deserves a fair shot.

Even just a scan of Twitter puts this in a direct light. The numbers of people sending tweets to the NFL saying things like “I’ve never been a fan of Tebow. But now I want him to put Sanchez on the bench.”

• brandi says:

This is one tweet from Jeff McAdam, WKMG (Tampa) News Anchor..

“Gosh, never thought I’d say this..but after hearing Mark Sanchez open his mouth, I hope Tim Tebow not only makes the roster, but starts”

There’s lots from everyday Fans, media people who never really were big on Tim. This just made more people want to see Tim do well. (And Mark go to…well, you know)

Bigfan: Makes one wonder…hmmmmmm!