Jags: Blake Bortles is ‘everything we hoped for’

From Yardbarker

The Jags are raving about what Blake Bortles has shown them so far.

© Bob Levey/Getty Images Sport The Jags are raving about what Blake Bortles has shown them so far.

By Rachel Wold

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles was the third overall selection and first quarterback picked in the 2014 draft. After what was an up-and-down season, it appears his team is happy with his development.

Head coach Gus Bradley had some positive comments to share about their quarterback, who remained durable after taking a massive 55 sacks in 2014. Here’s what he said via the team’s official website.

Buzzy Says : Along with 3 TDs 16 INTs 2Fumbles 1 Lost in 13 Games and 55 Sacks come on GUS.

He’s everything we hoped for as far as mentality and competitiveness. I thought he was really internally driven and that is so true. He has no fear. I felt like that going through the process where we were picking the quarterback, and he plays with no fear. Those aspects were really exciting for us. I think his toughness. I knew he was tough, but just how tough … And how fast he would take over the team. The team really gravitates toward him offensively, defensively and special teams-wise, and I didn’t know it would happen that fast.

Tough is an understatement for a quarterback who landed on the ground an average of 4.3 times per game during his rookie season. However, Bortles is now flush with a tremendous amount of weapons, including recently signed Pro Bowl tight end Julius Thomas as well as a trio of young receivers.

While the Jaguars will assuredly remain a work in progress next season, it is great to see the support the team has shown its young quarterback.

The next task is improving on another awful three-win 2014 campaign

15 Responses to “Jags: Blake Bortles is ‘everything we hoped for’”

It will be interesting to see. My guess is that dave caldwell is a conceited ass who quite absurdly banks on the reputation he gained by being on a scout team that drafted Peyton Manning, who after all was a consensus top pick. Great job, dave!

More than likely, Bortles will achieve mediocrity, which will be treated like something more. After 7 years, he’ll have won, say, a single playoff game, just like Cutler and other media legends. Romo will coast unquestioned another several years after winning his second playoff game last year.

2. brandi says:

Translation: Blake’s not Blaine.

I think what Gus said about Bortles is right on point. He’s tough and competitive. Whether that translates into Wins is definitely anyone’s guess at this point. I like Gus. I think his positive outlook is huge in that negative Jaguars environment. Again, whether that translates into Wins is still anyone’s guess.

If Jaguars continue to lose big, NFL think would be fire Gus, trade Bortles and give Caldwell another round of starting over. ugh

Looks like the cast-offs from “The Donkeys” are going to Jax…Wasn’t this the same Julius Thomas that was injury prone? Guess Elrot couldn’t afford more than $8 million for Thomas due to paying the “SB DUD PM” (Beadles is another cast-off TO A LOSING TEAM IN JAX…HMMMMMM!) Anyway, guess the current GM/CALDWELL is in for a wake-up call! I read where one of the reasons Thomas was glad to come to JAX was the “SIZE OF THEIR NEWLY INSTALLED TV SCREENS, THE SIZE OF A BASKETBALL COURT” AND THIS WINS GAMES…WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY ETC.!!!
    GUESS THIS BORTLES GUY LIKES GETTING SACKED, LOL!!! AN OFTEN QUOTED SAYING IS “IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE DUMB, YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!” THINK THAT DEFINITELY SUMS IT UP! AND THEY COULD HAVE HAD TEBOW AND ACTUALLY WON!!!
    THIS DOESN’T MAKE ANY SENSE OTHER THAN SOMEONE HAVING THE SAME KIND OF BLINDED EGO AS ELROT!!!

• brandi says:

When Shad Khan bought the Jaguars, Jags Fans were furious. They had good reason to be. Two weeks prior, Wayne Weaver said not only wasn’t he selling the Team, he wasn’t even talking to anyone about it. But not to worry Jacksonville. Wayne got a promise from Shad.

If he moves the Jaguars, he’ll make a $25M donation to charity. THEN, in the first of what has been an endless stream of non-denial denials about Relocation he gave Jax Fans the big comfort food sandwich. He’s fine with that promise. So there! Why would he want to just throw away $25Million like that? To double the value of his investment the second he announces a move? C’mon Jax. Think it through. We’re talking $25M. That’s alot of money to give away.

Oh, City of Jacksonville. You own this Stadium. Here. How about a new swimming pool and some XBoxes? Cool. There Wayne. We square? Cool. Tony, put down that Madden15 and pack up your toys. Where we going Dad? Does it matter> Ah, no. Cool. This VP stuff is fun.

Reminds me of what Fox stated when losing: “BEST CHANCE TO WIN W/ORTON” AND WIND THEY DID…NOT!!! THIS IS HILARIOUS!!! THE ELEPHANT IS SITTING IN THE ROOM AND THEY ARE OBLIVIOUS…HERE’S TO YET ANOTHER “HUGE LOSS” SEASON W/MORE OF THE SAME AND WEREN’T THEY DEAD LAST OR CLOSE TO IT IN NFL RANKINGS?!! CALDWELL NEEDS TO GO, AS IN FIRED! THINK THE JAX FANS DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS…THEY DESERVE TEBOW!!!

Buzzy is right!

I Agee ck Buzzy is right! I used to live in northeast Florida and supported the Jags when Mark Brunel was their quarterback, but when Shad Kahn took over and the GM pretty much snubbed Tebow for a awful quarterback, not to mention never bringing in good players, I quit supporting them!

Now I don’t even support the NFL, one because of all the thugs allowed to play, and two because of how they have treated Tebow and his fans! The Jags I hope have a worst season than last, and I am also hoping Karma keeps ahold of Denver and all those who tried to sabatoge Tim! I think it’s funny in the years Manning has been there he still has not gotten a SB ring with Denver. I thought the owner said after trading Tim that, He did not just want playoff wins but Super Bowl rings! So now he says they are doing the best in reg season, lol, reg season wins are great only to get you into the playoffs to win the Superbowl! I told my hubby yesterday that they should let Manning play all reg season games, but in playoffs have another quarterback that is not a choke artist take over.

I bet the media is happy right now that Tim has not found a team, so they can keep bashing. I just hope it being so quiet there is good going on behind the scenes, and we hear something soon!

GO TEBOW WE BELIEVE IN YOU!

• brandi says:

My issue with Caldwell is NOT not signing Tim. I’ve never been sold on that being a good spot for him and Tim’s said himself he has misgivings about Playing so close to home. And Dave Caldwell by no means started the To Tim or Not to Tim. In fact, I still give him the benefit of the doubt that he was really just trying to cut off the JaxMedia. That raises different questions about how he thinks he’d deal with the London Media which makes even the New York Media look like the peasants from Peoria.

My issue is not thinking about the firestorm he was starting and then the entire Jaguars Organization either being totally oblivious to it…which speaks very poorly of their Marketing Dept’s knowledge of the Market…or simply not caring. THEN strengthening the Marketing ties to the very group that has made it a mission to destroy anyone who ever uses the word Tebow without adding “Sucks”.

The fear of the Tebow Train has been so great the Jaguars have run off the rails.

Brandi: They will use any excuse other than the obvious reason which is he is not a PC LIBERAL THUG W/CRIMINAL BACKGROUND AND FOR THAT HE IS TO BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST?!!! UNBELIEVABLE AND UNFAIR!!!:(

• brandi says:

There could be some of that. But the most vocal, including those who made a mission of crushing anyone who likes Tebow, have been at this since long before Tim came on the scene. I’ve been calling them the Jags Dangerfields for years because of the don’t get no respect chip on the shoulder. Now it’s the Jaguars Generation whose manifesto is exactly what I’ve said for many years. Blaming the “hicks” has been the excuse for why JaxJags has a rep of not really being an NFL city. Or so has gone the theory.

Running Fans who weren’t of the same cut has been going on long before Tebow. It’s the cultish, cliquish image Jax as a Football town has had. (So of course the “answer” to that image was to prove it by being cultish and cliquish. 🙂 )

Tawk2: Very disappointed about the actions of the NFL and refuse to support them as well until they change for the better instead of the WORST!!! Couldn’t agree more about JAX…here’s to another LOSING season w/basically the same cast of characters!