Al Weaver 8:56 PM 09/04/2014

CLEVELAND, OH - AUGUST 23:  Michael Sam #96 of the St. Louis Rams reacts after sacking Johnny Manziel #2 of the Cleveland Browns during the fourth quarter at FirstEnergy Stadium on August 23, 2014 in Cleveland, Ohio.  (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images) CLEVELAND, OH – AUGUST 23: Michael Sam #96 of the St. Louis Rams reacts after sacking Johnny Manziel #2 of the Cleveland Browns during the fourth quarter at FirstEnergy Stadium on August 23, 2014 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

According to NBC’s Peter King and ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith, NFL officials called teams around the league to gauge interest in signing Michael Sam to their  practice squad.

Yesterday, the Dallas Cowboys signed Sam, who is trying to become the first openly gay player in NFL history.

King reported this during the pre-game show on NBC prior to the Seahawks/Packers season opener Thursday night.

“The Rams waived Michael Sam, the first openly gay player trying to make an NFL roster, he was unemployed for two days,” King said. “During that time a league official contacted multiple teams asking if they had evaluated Sam as a probable practice squad player.”

“Now Sam and the NFL avoided a nightmare situation when he signed with the practice squad of the Dallas Cowboys.”

This report, that is surely to upset other players vying for NFL practice squads around the league, was initially reported by ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith on yesterday’s edition of “First Take.”

“According to sources I have in the NFL, the league did call a few teams. They did want teams to take Michael Sam because obviously we see what kind of movement they’re gearing for, and what they’re support of Michael Sam, who we all know, came out, acknowledged he was gay before the draft and ultimately something Roger Goodell and the NFL supports and they want their teams to support. But other teams weren’t too receptive to taking him on once the St. Louis Rams cut him,” reported the ESPN talking head.

“So in steps, Jerry Jones coming to the aid of the NFL and making a splash with his willingness to bring this guy on board to the practice squad.”

35 Responses to “Report: NFL Officials Asked Teams To Consider Signing Michael Sam To Practice Squad”

1. KingSolomon says:

DISGUSTING!!!!!! The NFL pressures teams to sign someone solely because he is gay, but makes no effort to pressure teams to sign the most influential athlete on earth. Perhaps being a Christian does not sit well with all the thugs, criminals, wife beaters and “others.”

KingSolomon: Two words: Double Standard!

• Lance says:

Why don’t you leave, “king solomon”? Nobody wants to read your screaming, bigoted rants. Go back to Stormfront, you should get along with those people very well.

Buzzy Says : Easy now we dont want anyone to leave.

• KingSolomon says:

WE ALL WANT LANCE TO LEAVE BECAUSE IS A WORSE THAN A FESTERING BOIL ON A GOAT’S HIND END. REALLY LANCE, DONT COME BACK. YOU NEVER SAY ANYTHING SMART, GOOD, INSIGHTFUL, OR MEANINGFUL. ALL YOU DO IS SPEW HATE AND ROTTEN EGGS. EVERYONE DISLIKES YOU. HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE UNIVERSALLY HATED????

Buzzy Says : STOP IT NOW Both Of you.

Instead of whining about Sam, why not just focus on what matters most, which is Tim Tebow’s excellence and his own rightful place in the NFL?

Buzzy, there’s plenty of dross-like articles posted here, just for the sake of something to read and talk about. Any reason we would want to ignore the superb essay on Tebow and the NFL by Steve Matoren? In six years I’ve never seen a better one, and that includes some good competition.

Buzzy Says : It still wont work for me and i cant find it.

Nuts. Buzzy, can you just google Steve Matoren and Tebow?

Thanks for your work around here!

4. Larry says:

Another link to the Steve Matoren article in which he asked all 32 NFL teams why they didn’t want Tebow on their team & most of them didn’t even reply to his question:

Lance – the problem with Sam getting special treatment is that they had to release a practice player so Sam could get a spot.Shortly the media will want to know why Sam is not on the 53 man roster which means a player will have to lose his job so the NFL does’nt face a “nightmare situation”. Then the media will demand to know why Sam is not starting as a defensive end and the next thing you know a starting defensive end will have to be benched so the NFL does’nt face a “nightmare situation”

This is why the NFL should not give in to the demands of the media and the special interest groups.

• Lance says:

“This is why the NFL should not give in to the demands of the media and the special interest groups”

I agree with that completely.

I just try to avoid using negative rhetoric, because it unfortunately attracts the king solomons of the world.

This is why PC is going to RUIN this country!!! And you are right 100%, Andrea!!!

Too bad about Ohio State’s opener. I was hoping Urban Meyer would get an NFL HC job. Probably needs another nat’l championship for that.

Sage: Well, the Gators chomped all the way through the swamp and then some!
      The score was 65 to ZIP and I actually felt bad for the MI Team!
      GO GATORS!!! Btw, tried to find Tebow on The SEC Network and couldn’t…would like to see all of the ones w/Tebow and maybe since this is The TebowZone that could be done for his fans.
      Thanks Buzzy…think Buzzy erased some of my positive comments about Mr. JA…congrats for being a ref for Mr. JA who does not deserve to be on this site impo as he ran off TISA!!!:(
      Remember: “You shall know the TRUTH and the TRUTH shall set you free!”:)
      Buzzy Says Stop It CK

Didn’t know this guy Steve was a fan of Howard Stern…not that I would be!

Hey CK, got any ideas for a new hobby? For years I’ve been giving the NFL a huge amount of time and attention, but now it just inspires my resentment.

Luckily half the teams loose every week, but of course half win, so there’s no gain from my vantage. 😉

So, Cowboys and the Rams and Jags and Pats lost. That was cool. Too bad about the Broncos, though. Not sure when or how Tebow will ever get the chance he’s earned.

Sage: There is always college football and you don’t have to watch the NFL to catch up on wins/losses due to the regular news having sports commentaries. On that note, looks like the Dolphins were the better team..they might have to retire somebody named Brady b/c he is not doing so well in his chosen career as of late and same goes for PM pizza guy…what do u think?

College football is a decent idea, thanks. It’s been a long time. Being from Colorado, can hardly remember the last time the Buffs were any good. Bill McCartney wanted to return to coaching a couple of years ago, but being all Christian and everything made the AD uncomfortable, I guess.

Sage: You’re welcome and didn’t think you were serious about that but, yes, college football is not as jaded as the NFL…YET! Here’s a good one: Join a shooting range and let off some STEAM!!!

It is kind of a hobby just watching the NFL implode on itself and payback at that!!! What will be great is when Tebow gets to set the record straight at some point and hope they are begging too!!!

Looks like 270 and counting…

Great suggestions CK !!! I boycotted the NFL games last year until the final half of the Superbowl when I found out on the Drudgereport that Peyton Manning was stinking up the joint.

I missed every game on TV this past week and I am looking forward to boycotting year number 2.

Thing I do instead:

1 – TRAVEL. Day trips on Sunday for me. Gettysburg battlefield is 45 minutes away. Washington D.C. is 45 minutes away. During the fall I travel west to Cumberland MD as the scenery is breathtakingly beautiful with all the leaves on the trees changing colors. Of course when there is snow on the ground I do not go out at all.

2. READ – Ever hear of Michael Ollis? Everyone in Poland knows his name but the American mainstream media totally ignores his story. How about Jason Dunham? Kyle Carpenter? In fact Kyle Carpenter met Tebow
    at a SEC football game and there is a nice picture of the two on Kyle Carpenter’s twitter account.

3 College Football on Saturdays – CK already mentioned this.

4. I am not good making things but if you are good at woodworking or sewing you can make things and sell them at flea markets on the weekends. I have an uncle who can make wooden wishing wells and we go to flea markets on the weekends

5. NO more spending money on the NFL. I have informed my nephews and nieces I will not spend any money on NFL jerseys, etc. Money I used to spend on the NFL goes to different charities in their names .Part of their Christmas present are a monetary donation to a military academy. There are various clubs (triathlon, gymnastics, marathon)that accept donations so they can travel to different events/races each year. I rather spend my money this way so in 5 years when these heroes are overseas they have can have good memories while the NFL thugs they are protecting overseas can do their usual stuff( wife beating , getting arrested for illegal drugs, barroom fights and I could go on and on).

I always say – ” I did not leave the NFL – the NFL left me”

My only NFL contact I have any more is TEbowzone, Drudgereport and my local newscasts.

Maybe someone else out there has more ideas on how to spend Sunday’s without football. I would love to hear them and who knows I may do some of them.

Andrea: Have to agree w/u on the PM SB DEBACLE as it was hard not to watch that “train wreck”…TALK ABOUT GLEEFUL!!!
      Also, can believe The NFL has lost due to what you stated: “I did not leave The NFL, The NFL left me.” They are so out of touch and continue to think it is o.k. to leave fans in the DUST! Same thing that they do to the players, I might add!!!
      Btw, all really good alternatives too!:) This is probably one of the best months to travel before all the snow and less crowds at theme parks etc.

Sunday drives is a great idea, Andrea. Except they need to be pretty long, since the football day is about 8 hours.

Was in Montana visiting my mom this week, and the scenery in the Paradise Valley near Yellowstone was very nice. September is the best month.

Reading, too. But I need to stay away from the Web because it’s so easy to search football stuff. Don’t want to give them any clicks at all.