Tebow embracing analyst job while waiting on NFL

Tim Tebow answers a question during a interview on the set of ESPN’s new SEC Network in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2014. Tebow has a new job as a commentator for the SEC Network, but is still looking for work in the NFL as a quarterback. (Chuck Burton/Associated Press)

By Associated Press August 6 at 6:40 PM

<:article sizset=”false” sizcache06329838067305995=”12.43656365691809 19 1″>

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Tim Tebow still wants — and trains for — another NFL opportunity.

Still, while the 26-year-old free agent quarterback waits for another chance to play professional football, he isn’t about to let a potential dream job pass him by.

Tebow is embracing his latest passion: working as a football analyst for ESPN’s new SEC Network, which debuts Aug. 14.

“I love doing this,” an enthusiastic Tebow told The Associated Press on Wednesday. “I want to do this for a long time. I love talking football and I love being around it.”

The only thing he doesn’t like is “having to wear this” suit, Tebow said, laughing and tugging at his gray jacket coat. “I’d rather be in shorts.”

Or pads.

Tebow said his agent has fielded some calls from interested NFL teams — he declined to name which teams — but added no deal is imminent.

Most NFL teams are two weeks into training camp, so Tebow knows he’s missing valuable time.

Over the past several months he’s been trying to balance learning his new job and staying in peak physical condition in case that call comes. He works out five to six times per week in Los Angeles, Arizona or Florida depending on his busy travel schedule.

“I’m kind of a vagabond these days,” he said.

Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera said it surprises him Tebow hasn’t landed on an NFL roster since the New England Patriots cut him Aug. 31, 2013.

“I’m a big fan of his and he knows it. He has always given me fits when I’ve had to coach against him,” Rivera said of Tebow, who is 8-6 as an NFL starter. “He’s a playmaker and he plays a different kind of football. All the guy has ever done is win. … He’s one of those guys if you were struggling at quarterback, hey, why wouldn’t you give him a shot?”

But the Panthers — and 31 others teams — haven’t given Tebow a shot.

Tebow said he’s not exactly sure why.

But his new bosses at ESPN know if that call from the NFL does come, he’ll likely need to leave without much notice. Justin Connolly, ESPN’s senior vice president in charge of programming for college networks, said that’s fine with him.

Connolly pointed out that Tebow did well as analyst during the national championship game and that when the network hired Tebow — who has more than 2.5 million Twitter followers — it saw unprecedented social activity.

“We want to be fair to Tim in terms of things that are important to him, but at the same time we want him as a part of this network,” Connolly said. “If something happens, he has a place to come back to.”

Tebow doesn’t hide his desire to play in the NFL, but also seems resigned to the idea there is life after playing quarterback — and maybe it’s not so bad.

Tebow will serve as a football analyst for “SEC Nation,” traveling to a weekly SEC game in advance to break down film and give insight into key story lines.

Outside of playing in the NFL, he said it’s pretty close to being his dream job.

“The thing is, I would do this anyway at home because I love it,” Tebow said. “I would be watching every football game anyways and talking to the TV set. It’s my nature. It’s what my family and I have done since I was 6 years old.”

Tebow was in Charlotte to film a segment for the first show, which will be broadcast to 90 million homes across the United States.

He hopes to bring a unique insight given his SEC experience playing at Florida.

“I’m excited to talk about Xs and Os and really giving the viewers an opportunity to see what it is like as a quarterback making decisions, going through the reads and coverages,” Tebow said. “Hopefully they can get a feel for learning offenses.”

He said the job also keeps him in the national spotlight, which not only helps in his search for an NFL team but helps with his Tebow Foundation.

Tebow doesn’t hold any grudges.

He’s not angry that NFL teams haven’t called. He said he feels like if it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be.

But there is a possibility that this is it for one of college football’s greatest players.

“I don’t like to talk hypotheticals,” Tebow said with a smile. “I deal with the real life situations. I treat every day as a blessing. And it’s a blessing to be here doing what I’m doing.”

20 Responses to “Tebow embracing analyst job while waiting on NFL”

It is not looking good right now, but I know Tim is keeping the faith and so will I. I am hoping he will be on an NFL team that truly embraces and wants him.

I may not be on for a while, I am going to an Orthopedic surgeon tomorrow, I tore my posterior tibial tendon and it looks like my heel has shifted as well. Surgery for this is very indept and takes quite a long time to rehab. So if I am not able to get on my thoughts and prayers are will you all. Thanks for always being so friendly and caring.

• shaztah says:

Good luck thawk. All will be well. Keep the chin up on Tebow’s behalf, Tim stated that his agent has had calls from teams (plural). Something is brewing!

Thank you shaztah, I am praying all goes well, but my heel has moved I have been doing research, the surgery scares me but the not being able to get around scares me worse. Tendons are some of the hardest places in the body to heal. But I have a wonderful husband and daughter who will take care of me so I am blessed. I am still praying surgery will not have to happen. I will miss coming here, I will have to have my hubby check in from time to time if I am not able.

You are right though teams must be talking with Tim, I have had a hard time believing no one has been calling. Hopefully he will find the right fit soon.

Bless you and thanks again.

• KingSolomon says:

We will be praying for you tawk2. you are one of tim’s biggest fans and supporters!

Thanks KingSolomon. I just returned from the orthopedic surgeon and in the near future I will be having surgery. Fusion of my posterior tibial tendon, lengthening of the tendon using parts of another tendon in my foot, possible nerve damage surgery, and my heel moved back and anchored with screws. If my muscle and or nerves are damaged I with have the placebo replacement as well. So a lot going on, but I am going to hang in there. The recoup time is what I am worried about, 2 months in a cast and then a non weight bearing boot for 4 to 6 weeks then a walking boot with limited weight bearing, my doctor said it takes up to a year or better to be back on your feet.

Thanks for all your prayers and support, mine are with you all too.

Have a speedy recovery, Tawk!

Thanks Sage I have not got a surgery date yet just jumping through the hoops to get everything done, I have to have a nerve conductor test to make sure my nerve is not pinched, my surgeon wants to know as much as possible before he does surgery.

I will let everyone know when I get a surgery date, in reality I am supposed to have my foot up, but I come here a couple times a day to check in and see everyone’s comments and new stories.

Bless you and thanks again.

2. shaztah says:

See he said calls have been coming in from INTERESTED TEAMS! He is doing the right thing and making sure it is a good fit and the coaches believe in him. He doesn’t want another JETS situation. I knew there were interested teams. There probably was last year and Tim probably said NO THANKS! There was a source here (Jacksonville/Gainesville) who said there were negotiations last year with the Jags and they fell through. I can bet that Tim said No thanks, you didn’t want me before (I can’t see any situation that will bring him here),then why bother now.

• Brandi says:

That’s what I’ve been hearing for quite some time. But for many Fans, they never want to believe it. “If he’s REALLY getting interest, why isn’t he on a Team? Why aren’t we hearing about it?”

You nailed it when you said he doesn’t want another Jets situation. The situation with the Jets had deteriorated while his Season there was still going on as he felt he had been lied to by the Jets. I heard that from several friends of mine who are on the JetsBeat…even as the Season was still going. (Sometimes it bugs the heck out of me how much BeatWriters won’t write about for fear of angering the Teams they cover and losing access.)

Hope everything goes well Tawk2.

Make sure you can look out a window while you recover – I’ve been to Western Maryland in the fall (Cumberland) and the scenery is simply breathtaking with the leaves changing colors.

I hope Tebow gets on a team soon but I hope he learned a lesson from the Tony Dungy incident – the mainstream sports media hates him and will try every trick in the book to derail him.

Thanks andrea, I am still praying I won’t have to schedule surgery, but my MRI did not look good and I can barely walk on it anymore. I just hate being laid up and having others wait on me. I am very independent, lol. I guess I will have to get used to it, if I end up in a cast today or surgery in near future. Thanks again for your support.

I know how the sports media hates Tim as well, I just hope like you he gets on an NFL team soon that really wants him and embraces him and most of all believes in him like we all do!

Hope you have a great day, I am off to the doctor in a few.

Bless you!

Tawk2: Hope all goes well and that you don’t have to have surgery…will miss your commentary and know what an ardent fan of Tebow’s you are and always will be too, like me! 🙂 If you need additional prayer and a hotline at that then call The 700 Club Prayer Line @ 1-800-759-0700 as this really gets results…many a time have called and received a positive answer to prayer when truly needed. God bless you and yours also.

Believe that Tebow has not been telling all and so glad he is not grasping at straws by ending up in a place like NY again or worse!!! Lessons learned and know he is saving the best for last…looks like all of his 2.5 million plus fans will be rewarded SOON, I HOPE!!! In the meantime, will be tuning into the SEC! 🙂

Thanks ck for the phone number for the prayer line, yes positive prayer really does work! I found out yesterday I will be having major surgery on my foot. Tendon transfer/lengthening, nerve/muscle repair, my heel realigned with screws and possibly other procedures that he won’t know about until he gets in there. I will let you know when my surgery date is.

Tim has learned from what the Jets did to him, he is taking his time to make the right choice. I keep praying that the right team will come forward and embrace Tim wholeheartedly and believe in him.

Thanks again ck and God bless you and yours and all here on this site!

Why are there error messages when sent? Guess screening is in place?!