Ryan Mallett traded to Houston Texans from Patriots

By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 31, 2014 at 02:10 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 31, 2014 at 03:17 p.m.
 Ryan Mallett is on the move.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport broke the news Sunday that the New England Patriots have traded Mallett to the Houston Texans, according to a source. The Patriots received a conditional 2016 seventh-round pick, per Rapoport.

The Dallas Cowboys were also in talks with the Patriots for Mallett, according to Rapoport. The Texans made room for Mallett by releasing Case Keenum, who started eight games (all losses) for the Texans last season.

The Patriots have been actively trying to move Mallett, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. The former third-round pick has seen little action behind Tom Brady, attempting just four passes since 2011.

The Patriots hoped to use the preseason as a showcase for Mallett, even starting him in the team’s first preseason game. Mallett struggled, however, potentially hurting his trade value. He played just one series in New England’s preseason finale, another sign the team still had Mallett on the market.

Now he’ll attempt to get on the field with the Texans, who are coached by former Pats offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien.

It’s a much better situation for Mallett, who no longer has to look up to a living legend on the depth chart. Ryan Fitzpatrick will open the season as Houston’s starter, with rookie Tom Savage also in the mix.

Don’t be surprised if Mallett eventually sees game action for a Texans team searching for a passer they can trust.

21 Responses to “Ryan Mallett traded to Houston Texans from Patriots”

1. Bigfan says:

Give it twp weeks from the start…???

Bigfan: The great mastermind (BB) at work again or not?!! Not too happy about how he does things especially in regard to T2 and hope he redeems himself by offering Tebow a REAL CHANCE FOR A CHANGE!!!

2. TheMascotArmy says:

I wish this happened before the draft as it was expected to.

A 7th round pick is pretty weak.

I don’t see much reason to think BB wants to build with Tebow. What was amazing, though, was Tebow’s first drive with the Pats when they were in spread. Like a steam roller. Stunning ground power. Surprising they didn’t want to experiment more with that.

4. Bigfan says:

Nah BB ain’t gonna clip board Tebow…you know the air apparent stuff…Timmy being with the SEC may lead to bigger things for him???

Remember God’s plan is perfect!!

P.S. I am still hoping cuzz I want to see Timmy back balling in the NFL! BUT that is just me…Only God knows and Timmy is comfortable in his faith…believe folks! BELIEVE!

• jason says:

God’s plan is tebow failing out of the NFL and being on the SEC network…………he wouldn’t be there if God didn’t want him there would he?

5. Lance says:

“I will add something to my last post. I hear the rumors and speculation. Folks “guessing” that the total of our offer to Tim Tebow after all of the Charity-Oriented stuff is factored in will be a $Billion.

I want to put those rumors and speculations to rest right now.

They’re low.”

That’s right folks, we’re talking a BILLION plus to bring Tebow to The League. That’s with a capital B.

Forget the braindead NFL, and jump on board with the winner, THE LEAGUE.

What’s the time factor in all of this speculation?

• Lance says:

You’ll have to ask Brandi, but I think by thanksgiving.

Be sure to stop in (and buy)from Brandi’s new online store at

http:// Buzzy Says : You will have to get Permission from the Web Master to post this they might give you a free Add

• Brandi says:

We’ve already begun. But Tim’s a Big Boy. We have to (in my opinion) convince him not only that we’re serious but also that it’s the right place. That means a league that truly stands for all we’ve been saying it stands for and a league that will be the very best Football anywhere.

If we can convince him of that, perhaps there’s a chance he’ll sign. But the first Season isn’t until next Fall. That’s still a long way off with a TON of work to do between now and then to get there.

I think we’re building this right. But ultimately the Fans and Players will decide that. I didn’t make the decision to start this league because the NFL hasn’t signed Tim Tebow. I made it because that “blacklisting” is part of an ever-worsening pattern the NFL shows no signs of changing and won’t without serious competition. Competition noone else appears ready to attempt. (Which is odd because the CBA left a hole you can drive a truck through making it cost less to break up the NFL than it costs to buy one NFL Franchise.)

• jason says:

To use david oliver this is code for it’s lies and BS. Brandi has PROVEN she has issues WITH the NFL because she does NOT understand CRAP about…………….how to evaluate TALENT for the NFL.

• Brandi says:

Jason, you and I will never agree on what place the Fans should hold in Professional Sports. You think they should bow to the will of the master class and I think they should be front and center.

As it relates to Tim Tebow, I’ve said many times for years, I don’t know if he’s got an NFL Hall of Fame Career in him or is a one-hit-wonder and neither does anyone else. And anyone who says they do is simply flat-out lying. I don’t care what their qualifications are. NOBODY KNOWS. People can only speculate.

When you have a Player who has Won at this level the speculation should and almost always does fall to playing it out for all it’s worth until the Player shows he can’t Win. When you throw in Tim’s popularity any benefit of doubt should…and everywhere except the NFL does…go with the Player. But in Tim’s case his popularity gets used against him.

You may be OK with that. But it is simply wrong. And, in my opinion, a very bad precedent if the NFL gets away with it. It says the Fans have no place whatsoever other than to get out their wallets and feel honored the vaunted NFL even lets them look upon it. We’re not going to agree on this. I don’t buy the “talent” storyline and poll after poll indicates neither do most Fans.

6. Bubbaelvis says:

It is beyond all logic that Tim Tebow is not in the NFL. We see the guys getting jobs and there is no way Tim is not good enough. I am not throwing in the towel as I still believe he will play this year. I say again that I am totally baffled by the whole New England thing with him. I am not totally convinced that they are not going to bring him back in. Garopollo may be good but he is a rookie. I am not so sure Coach Bellichik would want his season in the hands of a rookie if Brady were to go down. Tebow would provide them with a playoff experienced veteran QB and could bring value in other roles. I’m probably just grasping at straws but come on, Kyle Orton, Case Keenum? Something is wrong with this picture.

7. steftebowfan says:

I agree and your theory about New England is possible. It does seem unlikely that they would just have Brady and a rookie. They also have a practice squad QB but that still seems shaky. I cannot predict what this crazy league will do!

I believe and won’t stop until I hear from T2 saying otherwise!!!

ck I believe this as well. I am tired of certain people coming here and bashing Tim, and also demeaning others. This used to be a great site where we all respected each other and our opinions even if we did not agree. Now some are not only bashing Tim but others here as well.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when you start hurting others with your words then you have crossed the line.

ck we all need to unite and keep believing as you said until Tebow tells us differently! Sorry to rant just getting tired of some taking it to far with their hurtful comments. I know you know what I mean.

Go TEBOW that is why we are here to support you and each other!

Tawk2: Unfortunately, JA likes to take “pot shots” and he will never get what Tebow is all about nor that of his TRUE fans!!! Like you, could go other places but will not be the same as TebowZone as there are people like you who understand what it is to be a lifetime Tebow fan impo!:)
        God bless you and all the others that make this site THE BEST!!!

Speaking of others, Tawk2 have you heard from Tisa since she left here for obvious reasons related to JA? Just curious and guess she sure is missed around here that is for certain.