Tim Tebow Comments on Training and Future in Football

By , Featured Columnist
  • Tim Tebow Comments on Training and Future in Football

David J. Phillip/Associated Press
Tim Tebow is set to begin a brand new chapter in his career as a college football analyst with ESPN’s SEC Network this coming fall, but that doesn’t mean the former Heisman Trophy winner is ready to give up on his dreams of playing professional football.

Tebow, 26, spent three seasons in the NFL and appeared for three different teams, winning his first postseason start in a memorable overtime victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2012 NFL playoffs as a member of the Denver Broncos. Though he is currently out of the league, he is still training as if he’s a starting signal-caller.

Recently, Tebow sat down to talk about the launch of the SEC Network on Aug. 14 and his new gig on “SEC Nation.” But he also says his venture into the broadcasting world hasn’t gotten in the way of his training, per The Tennessean‘s Mike Organ:

I’m training every day and feel like I’m the best that I’ve ever been. I still love it, love playing, talking about it, and I’m just excited about whatever the future holds. Who knows what could happen? But I’m excited about it, though.

Chris Schneider/Associated Press

In March, Tebow’s former coach at Florida Urban Meyer told CBSSports.com’s Jeremy Fowler that Tebow wasn’t ready to give up on his goal of playing in the NFL:

“You’d imagine how he works. Works every day. He’s hoping. There are some conversations about it. I don’t know too much. There’s hope and he says there’s stuff going on.”

Is Tim Tebow’s NFL career over?

• Yes, he’s played his last down.

33.8%

• Yes, but he’ll play in a different league.

14.0%

• No, he’ll get another chance somewheere.

52.3%

Although Tebow is clearly doing everything in his power to keep his NFL dreams alive, his biggest challenge will be shaking the stigma associated with his playing style.

Despite his unrivaled leadership traits and ability to inspire others, Tebow’s reputation as a quarterback has taken a massive hit since he made the jump from college to the NFL. In his marquee NFL season with the Broncos in 2011, Tebow completed just 46.5 percent of his passes and came under fire for not only his awkward throwing motion, but also his inaccuracy.

But while Tebow may never get another crack at the NFL, his perseverance and intensity are commendable and are sure to shine through during his time on television.

24 Responses to “Tim Tebow Comments on Training and Future in Football”

1. SB says:

I listen to the Rich Eisen podcast each week and just listened to this week’s episode. Eisen said that a reliable, VERY connected source told him that Tebow WILL be on an NFL team as QB and it’s happening this summer. Eisen basically said this was absurd, but given who this came from, he thinks it may be true.

I certainly hope he’s correct, and if so, it should happen any day now. I don’t remember the exact date, but I remember it was very early June last year when the Patriots signed him.

Thanks, SB. I’ll take any encouraging news I can get.

• SB says:

Me too, but the fact that I heard it from Rich Eisen is much more encouraging. And his podcast is one of the most popular podcasts, so he wouldn’t have put that out there lightly.

2. Bigfan says:

Great news. OTAs are concluding next week and then come mid July summer camps begin.

Keep the prayers going for our brother in the Lord, Timmy!

3. bubbaelvis says:

It wouldn’t surprise me. I can not for the life of me understand why absolutely no one has said they saw him throw on film or live to see how much he has changed/improved. Given his rep for intangibles, I would think coaches would like to see if his tangibles have developed to match. This guy won on talent yes, but also on just pure guts and a refusal to quit. Now if the thing that was supposedly his weakness and cause for no one wanting him is fixed who wouldn’t want him. My prediction-Mallett gets dealt, Tebow back with Patriots. I would prefer him being in a place he can compete for starter but I’ll welcome any chance.

• SB says:

I think he needs one year to truly sit and learn an offense and to allow all the mechanical improvements to really set in. NE would be good. And call me crazy, but I’d actually love to see him back in Denver, even though I know there’s probably zero chance of that happening.

• tebow fan says:

I disagree. Tebow has already proven he can win. He has the maturity that it takes to come in right away which why he was so successful in Denver.

• Bigfan says:

Wheeling Mallet was my hunch also and I hope it happens for Timmy’s sake however with the Pats not wanting to carry 3 QBs last year and in light of drafting a QB I am not sure. So having said that it is that Pats and Wild Bill????

4. lex says:

let’s hope there is some truth to the eisen podcast.

i agree with all of the comments above. go tim!

5. Rickdove says:

how do i find the podcast that talks about TT?

6. steftebowfan says:

7. steftebowfan says:

Listening to it now. Right now they are talking about a dog pooping on a plane! At least I know the Tebow comment is coming. No news on this on twitter or anywhere else. Are we breaking news? I sure hope so! Yep I just heard it. He sounded very confident. He source is very well connected and said its a sure thing. So if it happens SB gets the point for telling us first. Eisen by the way is not a fan of Tebow so he is not inclined to stretch what he was told. It is surprising how negative the media is about him. I just hope God just blows them away with this one!!!

8. LAC says:

I just listened and the “source” is someone in the entertainment industry. The only claim Rich makes about the “source” is that it is someone who knows everybody. No claims about trustworthiness or likelihood of being correct.

9. LAC says:

It is frustrating that these ‘experts’ don’t even entertain the idea that Tim may have improved. 🙁

Yes all they can do is make fun of him, they don’t want to be proved wrong!

So tired of all these naysayers so called experts making hurtful comments about Tim!