If only Jaguars had invested 3 years in Tebow instead of Gabbert(TKS andrea)

Mike Bianchi SPORTS COMMENTARY

5:49 p.m. EDT, March 14, 2014

Running off at the typewriter. …

Question for the Jacksonville Jaguars: What if you had invested all of your time and money on Tim Tebow over the last three years like you did Blaine Gabbert, the first-round bust whom you finally traded earlier this week for $24, six beaver pelts, two pairs of glass beads and a case of whiskey?

This may go down as one of the great NFL mysteries of all-time — why the irrelevant Jags wouldn’t take a chance on a hometown hero, a cultural icon and one of the greatest winners in football history? Imagine if the Jags had built an offense around Tebow and given him three years to develop as they did Gabbert, who was 5-22 as a starter in Jacksonville.

• Mike Bianchi
  • Mike Bianchi
  • Bio | E-mail | Recent columns
  • Related
  •  Gators not happy about Urban Meyer turning Tim Tebow into Ohio State recruiting tool Gators not happy about Urban Meyer turning Tim Tebow into Ohio State recruiting tool
  • It will never cease to astound me why so many subpar quarterbacks such as Gabbert, Josh Freeman, Brandon Weedon, etc., get opportunity after opportunity, year after year, to mature and develop, but Tebow has essentially been excommunicated from the league. All Tebow ever did was win — state championships in high school, national championships in college and a postseason appearance and a playoff victory in Denver during his only season as an NFL starter.
The Jaguars investing in Gabbert instead of Tebow will go down as one of the great NFL quarterbacking mistakes in state history. OK, so maybe it’s not quite as bad as the Dolphins choosing an over-the-hill Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees, but it’s still a baffling blunder. …

16 Responses to “If only Jaguars had invested 3 years in Tebow instead of Gabbert(TKS andrea)”

Bianchi at least seems to get it now. What was he saying during the last 3 years?

Sage: Funny how they seem to see the “error” in hindsight. Agree w/you, Sage.

• Brandi says:

Bianchi has been one of the few who have been saying for awhile the Jaguars were messing up by not signing Tim Tebow. It’s put him on the Bold City Brigade and Big Cat Country’s “Enemies” List.

2. bubbaelvis says:

He is right on the money. I do not understand what is going on where Tim is concerned. He had success in his only starting gig yet no one is interested? I have seen reports that Matt Schuab and Mark Sanchez are the top targets for the Raiders. Then I read that Brandon Weeden is being looked at by the Cowboys. I even read that Cleveland is thinking about Rex Grossman. No offense to any of these guys but they have had their chances. How are they more worthy of a look then Tebow? I believe Tim Tebow is better than over half of the current NFL starters yet no one will even give him a look. As an ex-coach, if I saw a guy that spent all his time training for a year with no guarantee of a job the way Tim has, I would give him a shot. It is not like he was without talent before and now? I’d have to at least see. He threw for a lot of yards in college for a guy that “can’t throw”. If the training has made him better as a passer you’d be crazy not to give him at least a look.

Amen bubbaelvis! Tim did so much in the short time with Denver, many forget he never even got a training camp as starter, he was thrown into the fire when Orton could not lead the team to wins. Just imagine if Tim would’ve gotten a training camp and practice with the first string, I cannot even imagine how much more he would’ve accomplished. He also had a coach who did not play to his strengths most of the game and then in the last quarter finally unleashed Tim and we all know what happened then.

It makes me so angry to think Tim is not given a legit shot at being a starting quarterback in the NFL. So many sub par quarterbacks playing now who as you said get chance after chance. There is truly something more to this than is being said. Tim is truly being blackballed by the NFL. If a team does not give Tim a legit chance this season, I am truly done with the NFL, I will not support an organization that exiles a player and bashes and demeans him over and over. All I have ever wanted is for Tim to get a legit shot just like the other quarterbacks in the league, and by the way many who have never won a playoff game still playing and starting.

I keep praying for Tim’s dream to come true but, the more days that come and go the more I worry this will never happen. I am truly looking to the A11 league and if Tim chooses to play there I will support him and his team all the way.

Sorry to rant just so fed up like so many of us about this whole situation surrounding Tim.

Go TEBOW we all still believe in you!

• Brandi says:

The Jags-Tebow Why Not? folks held another Rally yesterday. I don’t know how it went because, once again, they didn’t really tell anybody about it in time for people to plan on going.

But in their announcement they said 93% of Fans in National Polls think Tim Tebow deserves a real shot at a Starting QB job. That number is a bit on the high side of most Polls I’ve seen. But even the low end Poll numbers are usually around 85%.

The NFL is actively sneering at the Fans and seem to believe there’s nothing the Fans can…or will…do about it.

The Tebow Treatment has been entirely about the NFL putting the Fans ‘in their place’. That it’s been aloud to be painted as something else shows why the NFL has been convinced it can.

Nobody but the Fans can change this. The emergence of the A11FL will likely force the NFL to at least act like it cares about the Fans. But how long will even the pretense last?

Every other Pro League would call the Tebow Fans Vibrant and Passionate. The NFL calls it a “circus” and a “Cult”. A Cult of as much as 90+% of the Fans?

The NFL Owners have been listening to the wrong people. The good news for them is…most of them work for them and can be fired at will. All it takes is for the Owners to stop being total Cowards; which is what hiding behind their “experts” while thwarting the Fans’ desire actually is.

Tawk2: My feelings exactly and glad you are still hanging in there like the rest of us…GO TEBOW!!!

Bubbaelvis: Couldn’t agree more! Long overdue for a wake-up call regarding the so called “ostriches” and ignoring the fans was their first mistake imo!!!

3. steftebowfan says:

Amen my feeling exactly. Let’s get A11going and Tim on a field playing.. I too am ready to walk away from a league hat does not reward winning and blackballs certain players . Also they care so little about the Tebow fans, they won’t give him a shot. A11 you have my vote

A-11 looks good to me.

5. Bigfan says:

He WILL get his opportunity soon I hope?? MUST be a team that is committed to him taking them to the BIG DANCE!!

Bigfan: Hard to believe some of those guys get a second or third for that matter when compared to T2 imho! Glad you agree too!:)