Jags fans to hold Tim Tebow rally

Updated: September 16, 2013, 12:32 PM ET

ESPN.com

A group of Jacksonville Jaguars fans will hold a rally Monday in the EverBank Field parking lot at 3:16 p.m. ET to encourage the team to sign free-agent quarterback Tim Tebow, a former Heisman Trophy winner from the University of Florida.

The rally is scheduled to last three hours and 16 minutes. The starting time of the rally and the planned duration are a nod to a bible verse, John 3:16, which Tebow had inscribed on his eye black in the 2009 BCS National Championship Game.

Jacksonville is 0-2 after losing to Oakland 19-9 on Sunday. Starting quarterback Blaine Gabbert missed the game with a cut on his throwing hand. Backup quarterback Chad Henne got the start and completed 25 of 38 passes for 241 yards and a touchdown.

The group of Jaguars fans have created a website, jags-tebow.com. The mission, according to the website:

“Make it clear, we the fans, want the Jacksonville Jaguars to bring in Tim Tebow. You know you want to see this happen.”

Not all Jaguars fans are behind the idea of Tebow joining the team. In May, a Jaguars booster club called the Bold City Brigade started a website, Evenifhesreleased.com, imploring the team not to sign the quarterback.

Tebow spent the offseason and training camp with the New England Patriots. He was released when the Patriots pared their roster to 53 players.

No other team has shown interest in signing the 26-year-old quarterback since his release

21 Responses to “Jags fans to hold Tim Tebow rally”

1. Bigfan says:

My question is can Timmy make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear?? I seriously doubt it. They are not going to install his offense…I doubt they even understand it!!

As bad as they are doing now Timmy would only become a scapegoat!!

Tim’s imperative is to get on the field as a starter. Waiting for some theoretical opportunity to unfold in New England several years down the road is likely to prove illusory. Seize opportunities now.

That’s what worked in Denver. If he had not played in 2011, would have have played ever?

• Bigfan says:

Timmy had a pretty good team with the Broncos so IMHO we are comparing apples to oranges. It must be a good fit and the Jags would not be comfortable…especially if the owner made the demand!
        That GM made it clear.

Timmy is not a “Water Walker”!

I respect your opinion, but recall the Broncos were about 5-25 in their last 30 games before Tebow played.

As an ardent fan, I was reading the boards closely, and the Broncos were swirling the drain and–for the first time in 40 years–being discussed as the worst team in the league.

Thus, when people suggest the Broncos were a strong team, I’m dubious. They were perhaps a strong team that desperately needed what Tebow could bring.

I’m not aware of any reason why the Jags wouldn’t be in a similar situation. Granted, I accept your point that team organization is important.

• Bigfan says:

Unless BIG changes are made at the Jags anywhere BUT there this season…it is only a matter of time that one,two, or even three of these spread option teams have “Their” guy go down.

The NFL is a ruff place and very unforgiving.

I just read this on MSN, thanks for posting Buzzy! I really don’t want Tim to go to a team where the GM/Coaches don’t want him, but I believe that Tim even in those circumstances if given the chance will help win games. He proved it in Denver, and Denver limited Tim until the fourth quarter where they finally unleashed him and looked what happened.

So I guess only time will tell. I don’t live in Florida anymore but would really love to know how many people turn out this afternoon at 3:16 pm. I do know though that the only way Tim can improve is on the field playing. I am praying so hard that he finds a team and a home soon.

3. Tisa says:

I am reserved about my opinion regarding whether or not Tebow should go to the Jags. For all the reasons stated, it would be a risky move. However, it might be the only move. The GM and HC might not be on board to try Tim, but what about the players? How sick are they about what is going on? What if Tim wins a couple of games and gets them believing in him and, more importantly, in themselves, like he did in Denver? I just don’t know what to think but I do believe, if given the opportunity, Tebow is going to have to take it. The commentators for the Tampa/New Orleans game were talking about the fact that the Bucs have a serious lack of leadership, according to their coach. The players did not even vote Freeman as a captain this year. Tebow could provide that leadership. Freeman made a lot of mistakes in that game that the media would have crucified Tebow for. Even Brees threw a ball right straight to a defensive player for an interception. I saw mistake after mistake in the games I watched yesterday and they think Tim should be perfect. In my opinion, there are only 6 to 8 teams in the NFL that are even worth watching.

4. rickdove says:

Find it hard to believe the jags would bring tebow in for two reasons. 1. they want the 1st pick in the draft and tebow may actually win a few games preventing them from the 1st pick. 2. The crow to be eaten by the GM would be turkey size and GM’s are not built to eat crow.

Good points. It’s as if there’s a battle to see how many irrelevant seasons the team can stuff down the fans’ throats. Diabolical.

A big part of what annoyed me with how Elway sent Tebow packing was the implication that my fan devotion for the prior two seasons was completely irrelevant and that nothing now mattered except Elway’s latest grand plan.

Screw that. I invested in Shanahan’s teams with Bubby and then Griese and then Plummer and then Cutler. I invested in McD’s teams with Orton and then Tebow. Saying ha ha, those didn’t count doesn’t cut it with me. Don’t care how many games Manning wins.

What a rant. Hope people don’t mind me venting here. It’s my solace.

• Bigfan says:

Wonder how he is enjoying insomnia?

He might be too arrogant. Irrational self confidence seems to pay off these days.

• The Mascot Army says:

Great line. I’m likely thinking of the same people you are 🙂

Sage: I’m in total agreement about the “vent thing” and hope they are having lots of trouble w/insomnia too!!! Yes, “DIRTY DEEDS” warrant not being able to sleep at night!!! Too bad it takes a while for everything to catch up to all in spite of their non-existent conscience;
          imo, another word for SALESMEN = L-I-A-R-S!!!

5. DMaynor says:

If 6 people show up, that’s 5 more fans than they had at their home opener.
    Buzzy Says I did see some signs around town at stop lights

I seen on MSN that the rally was a bust, that only about a dozen people showed up at the stadium. I find that hard to believe but I don’t live near Jacksonville any longer.
      Buzzy Says : I did see some signs arount the city

6. The Mascot Army says:

I was convinced that this kind of stuff is bad for Tim, but I dont believe that any longer. Get him on the field any way possible.
    Embarrass the bad GMs and coaches who deserve it. That wont taint any relationship Tebow has with the Pats at all because those coaches cant be shamed with their own incompetence.

GMs dont sign Tebow and dont start Tebow because they dont want the spotlight on them (and their bad decisions/failures). Well, what’s the harm in bringing in Tebow if their moves are already in the spotlight? Especially if they are making bad decisions that couldnt be worse than Tebow.

They dont want the circus? Well, give them the circus anyway…then there is no downside in their bringing him in. They could hope to give the fans a big fat i told you so and i gave it a try (like Fox did-the joke was on him and elway).

• Brandi says:

There is one solid basis for a Franchise that’s in lowly straits to bring Tim in. And a smart GM/Head Coach should understand this. He buys them TIME. I don’t care about Systems/Schemes, etc. Not in the way they build NFL Teams these days. You build the lines; you fill in the key core positions and you add your Skill Players. The Skill Players get all the attention. But it’s those unknown cogs in the Football Machine who have as much to do with whether a Team is successful or not. Up to a point anyway. Your key skill Guys, including and perhaps particularly QB, get you over that last hurdle.

But it’s usually the Lines, Linebackers, big weaknesses in those positions that keep many teams churning from ReBuild to ReBuild. And it’s putting all of those pieces in place, particularly the Lines, that take so much time…Years.

Tim Tebow buys an Organization those years. Herein lies, I think, ONE of the underlying problems. There’s a perception that Tebow Fans are totally “irrational”. That even if he falls completely on his face, they’d still insist that he’s the Franchise Quarterback Bad Season after Bad Season. Personally, I don’t think that’s at all true. I think very few Fans of Tebow’s would want him out there looking awful year after year. If a smart Organization understands this, they’d understand they have absolutely nothing but positives in bringing in Tebow as Starting QB. If they understand that he buys them at least two years of strong Fan Support while they do all of that long,hard work of Building. They automatically get the very thing they ask from the Fans….Patience.

If they can just get themselves to understand that, upon getting all of those pieces in place if Tim’s not up to the Job, it’d be his own fans who may be saying most, bring someone else in at QB. Because they wouldn’t want him to fail. But I’m not sure most organizations realize this.

7. shaztah says:

No one showed up. I had to work or else I would have been there. That is ok though, I just wish I had Tim’s faith.

What they need to do is when a game is going on then protest outside the stadium and quit buying any more tickets!!! Management/etc. would get that message in a BIG WAY $$$$!!! Do not live close to Jax so being at the rally would be a little difficult unless more of an advanced notice was given; i.e., at least more than a couple of days!!!

9. Lois Pendley says:

Was this rally in any newspaper or on the news as “planned”? Who set this up for a work day? I didn’t get the notice until it was over. There were probably a lot of fans who would have turned out if it had been publicized and held on a weekend. Go Tebow!! Maybe Father God doesn’t want a “sorry” team like the Jags to have a great QB like Tebow? Whatever the future holds for Timmy, he knows he can trust in Father God’s perfect will for his life. I would love to see Tim play for the NFL as a QB again this year; otherwise, I am not interested in the NFL. Many thanks to tebowzone for keeping us posted on Tim’s life.