Strawberry is Tebow’s biggest admirer: ‘He’s a real man’

By:Bob Nightengale

ST. PETERS, Mo. — In two weeks, the Tim Tebow circus will return when the New England Patriots open training camp, and the player everyone either loves or loves to hate will offer a respite from the Aaron Hernandez murder charge saga.

While Tebow’s every unremarkable move in camp will be dissected and analyzed, he will have an unlikely supporter in his corner: Darryl Strawberry.

THE CAPTAIN: Jeter back in Yankees’ lineup

The twice-divorced baseball legend, whose Hall of Fame career was derailed by multiple battles with addiction, sees Tebow now and wishes he could have been more like him.

Now an ordained minister who helps others in the throes of addiction, Strawberry – who hit 335 career home runs – sees the path Tebow and former teammate Gary Carter walked and feels pangs of regret.

BIG PAPI: Ortiz makes history as a DH

Carter, the Hall of Fame catcher often maligned by harder-partying Mets for his straight-arrow ways, died in 2012 after battling brain cancer.

“I wish I could have been like a Gary Carter or a Tim Tebow when I was playing,” says Strawberry, Carter’s teammate on the 1986 World Series champion Mets, “and have Christ in my life the way I do today. When Carter left here, he left here as a right man, a righteous man, who lived his life right. He loved his faith.

JOHN ROCKER: Wishes more players took steroids

“I look at Tebow. He gets bashed because of his faith. Let ‘em laugh. Let ‘em talk. He’s a greater man than anyone who might be greater than him as an athlete. He’s a real man.

“He gets challenged about his faith all of the time, but he never wavers because of opinions, or what the media is writing about him. His reward later on in life is going to be even greater because he stood in the midst of everybody criticizing him being a Christian and playing sports at the same time.

“I admire him more than he could ever imagine.”

10 Responses to “Strawberry is Tebow’s biggest admirer: ‘He’s a real man’”

Strawberry’s complements are the best kind, sincere. It’s really nice to see the way he has progressed in life. Each day is an opportunity.

Sage: Agree that the court of opinion often gets it wrong and glad that he has done a 180 and gives T2 a lot of credit for having the courage of his convictions!!!
      Hope Buzzy is okay?! Sorry, about not posting…have been enjoying my granddaughter’s company!:D
      On a side note…imo glad that justice finally came about and we still have the right to defend ourselves thanks to a jury that would not be swayed by the extremely ridiculous PC!!!
      Buzzy Says I am doing fine just cant find anything to Post

Visiting with your granddaughter sounds like a great way to spend time. And thank Heaven GZ wasn’t convicted in that political circus. Hopefully he takes NBC for several million, if not tens of millions. We need people in high places to act with ethics. Much of that seems to have been lost in recent years.

2. shaztah says:

I agree Sage. I just can’t wait for training camp in 12 days. Don’t get me wrong I am glad that Tim is staying out of the media but I can’t wait to hear some news :)

3. tisa says:

Glad you are doing well, Buzzy. No, there isn’t much out there right now to post. The 26th is coming quick and we will get to see if our boy can beat out Mallet for the back-up position. God Bless, ya’ll!

Here is the link to a video from first take, the guest totally defends and loves Tebow, their are two short video’s make sure you watch the second one just hit the next button, the second one is funny. Hope you enjoy!

• bigfan says:

I am really gonna relish the day when Steven A. Smith eats crow when he sees Timmy say those famous words…”I’m goin to Disneyland”!

Thanks tawk2 for that clip and I quote (Weidman): “Do you want a winner or a loser?!!” Classic Tebow b/c all he does is win and Bigfan is right too!!:D GO TEBOW!!!

Here on TebowZone you can watch many interesting sports matches. This week you can watch free Bayern München Real Madrid live stream as well as Barcelona Real Madrid live stream. We will also provide free streaming links for London 2012 live streaming and PSV Eindhoven AZ Alkmaar live stream. This streams are completely free so you can share them with your friends. Every week when Champions League is playing you can watch Champions League 2012 stream with our sponsored streaming.