Tim Tebow’s Improved Mechanics Must Stand Up To Preseason Pressure

By Jesse Reed

Want more real-time New England Patriots news?Visit Team Stream on BleacherReport.com! ×
Tim Tebow’s Improved Mechanics Must Stand Up To Preseason PressureBy Jesse Reed(Featured Columnist) on June 16, 2013 7,886 reads

Next Stew Milne-USA TODAY Sports Stop me if you’ve heard this before: Tim Tebow has been working hard to improve his mechanics and shorten his throwing motion.

According to multiple NFL insiders, including Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, Tebow’s throwing motion is “noticeably improved,” and he’s much more accurate with his passes as a result:

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP
Not going to lie: Tebow’s throwing motion is noticeably improved. Better arm angle, tighter spirals. Work with Testaverde apparently helped.11:42 AM – 12 Jun 2013
Though Tebow didn’t get much work done with the New England Patriots during the team’s mandatory minicamp (he is the third-string quarterback, after all), the work he did put in was better than we’ve seen in the past.

According to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald, Tebow completed 10 of 16 passes in the first two days of minicamp, and at least two of those incompletions were drops by receivers.

That’s a marked improvement from the horror stories we’ve heard in the past about Tebow’s practices. After watching the following NFL.com video, Bleacher Report’s Aaron Nagler had to admit Tebow’s throwing motion does look different—more compact:

Aaron Nagler        ✔ @Aaron_Nagler
Forget the scrum. Interesting to note in b-roll, Tebow’s throwing motion DOES look different. Bit more compact:

14 Responses to “Tim Tebow’s Improved Mechanics Must Stand Up To Preseason Pressure”

1. Bob Segrett says:

Guys , don’t feel rejected if Tebow’s passing is better than your reporting .

He says the recent practice performance about which he heard is a remarkable improvement over prior practice performances about which he’s heard . This guy probably takes himself seriously, too.

Last month the sports pundits were looking through rex ryan goggles. This month they’re looking through Bill Belichick goggles. Some of them might never have had an independent thought.

3. shaztah says:

I guess some people will never be satisfied with any improvement he makes. He could lead a team to the SB and win but some naysayers will say “well he hasn’t won 2 SB’s”.

4. SB says:

Am I missing something? The comments above sound like you guys think there is some negativity in this report, like they’re reluctantly reporting about his improvement. I didn’t get anything like that from this.

Anyway, this is possibly the best, most positive thing I’ve ever read about Tebow. I follow him so closely that I’ve always read the details about him in practice, training camp, etc and it’s never been very good. I remember in particular, 2011 training camp and reading the stuff from the Denver Post and feeling so dejected when he had bad days and feeling extreme optimism from every single good play he had. But this is what I’ve been waiting for…the first true indication that he’s improving and that the offseason work he did really may have turned a corner for him. It wouldn’t be that difficult to throw differently when you’re doing nothing but throwing. But doing it even in practice when you’re remembering plays you just received, protection schemes, routes, blitz, etc, etc, is a very different story. Granted, it’s not a live game action, but it’s the next best thing.

This is VERY, VERY encouraging!!! Thanks for posting it! This was definitely the best Father’s Day gift I received!

I agree it’s encouraging. Just pointing out that it’s the same Tebow as always, and when we hear he has improved, it may simply be a sign that pundits and coaches are opening their minds, as much as Tebow having changed. The blindness of bias is a huge, unrecognized phenomenon in daily life.

People were biased against him before, and due to his association with BB, some of that bias is lifting. It’s a wonderful thing.

• The Mascot Army says:

Absolutely. And I loved your goggles comment. What’s funny, is these same idiots are still biased, they are just becoming biased in our favor now because BB trumps sparano-which is nice.
        It would be unbearable to me, no matter how convenient, endlessly latching onto “expert opinions” instead of deciding for myself what is good, fashionable, fun, bad etc. I enjoy debating against the masses; as all non-sheep should.

“Expectation works in mysterious ways.”

A few years ago I read a passage from Michael Crichton that blew my mind. It’s within Crichton’s book “State of Fear.” It begins at page 384, and you can find it by searching the book at Amazon for the term “bias.”

Although this lesson suggests none of us can rid ourselves of bias, it at least reminds us not to place too much faith in the opinions of “experts” and to seek objective measures as much as possible.

Hopefully this will live on Google and Bing. Here it is:

——

Evans: “So, you’re saying climate scientists are unethical?”

Jennifer: “No, I’m saying that there are good reasons why double-blind procedures are instituted. Look: Every scientist has some idea of how his experiment is going to turn out. Otherwise, he wouldn’t do the experiment in the first place. He has an expectation. But expectation works in mysterious ways–and totally unconsciously. Do you know any of the studies on scientific bias?”

“No.” Evans shook his head.

“Okay. Simple example. A group of genetically identical rats are sent to two different labs for testing. One lab is told that the rats were bred for intelligence and will run the maze faster than normal. The other lab is told that the rats are dumb and will run a maze slowly. Results come back–faster in one lab, slower in the other. Yet the rats are genetically identical.”

“Okay, so they fudged.”

“They said they didn’t. Anyway, there’s much more,” she said. “Next example. A group of survey takers are told, Look, we know that pollsters can influence results in subtle ways. We want to avoid that. So you knock on the door, and the minute someone answers you start reading only what is on this card: ‘Hello, I am doing a survey, and I am reading from this card in order not to influence you . . . et cetera.’ The poll takers say nothing except what is on the card. One group of pollsters is told, this questionnaire will get seventy percent positive answers. They tell another group, you can expect thirty percent positive answers. Identical questionnaires. The results come back–seventy and thirty.”

“How?” Evans said.

“It doesn’t matter,” she said. “All that matters is that hundreds of studies prove again and again that expectations determine outcome. People find what they think they’ll find. That’s the reason for double-blind experiments. To eliminate bias, the experiment is divided up among different people who do not know each other. The people who prepare the experiment to not know the people who conduct the experiment or the people who analyze results. Those groups never communicate in any way. Their spouses and children never meet. The groups are in different universities and preferably different countries. That’s how new drugs are tested. Because that’s the only way to prevent bias from creeping in.”

Among the most objective measures is a team’s win-loss ratio while Tebow is playing, as well as other statistics cited recently in the Cold Hard Football Facts blog.

• The Mascot Army says:

Nice. I read that book a while ago and mostly forgot the entire story. I’m at the age where if I wait long enough, I can reread books for the first time 🙂

5. bubbaelvis says:

I agree, it is very encouraging. He can’t help but get better in the environment he is in. This is the perfect organization to match his work ethic, namely one that rewards it as well as character. He will be given a fair chance with no b.s. or games. My guess is he’ll be right back at IMG training while waiting for camp to begin again. I bet there are a few teams out there that are starting to feel like they missed it big time on not picking him up.

Buzzy Says ; I would bet 10 to 12 GM and HC said O’S—! when they found out that TT was Signed.

• SB says:

I couldn’t agree more. I was initially excited about the reports at the end of last season that he was going to Jax, but after thinking about it, it’s good that he did not go there or a few other places he could’ve gone where he may have played very soon. As you said, this is THE best environment for him for several reasons…no circus, learning directly under one of the best QBs to ever play, Belichick and of course, McDaniels. McDaniels obviously has a very vested interest in him, so there’s no question that he’ll get the best coaching he can. But, another huge factor is that he won’t have any pressure to play QB right away. This is key because I think if he went somewhere and played too soon he may be in danger of reverting back to his old habits. This way, he can keep reppin’ and get it to be muscle memory by the time he has to do it in games.

• jason says:

Yep that’s the very important thing. Get the improvements into muscle memory and that other style completely out of his system.
        Next is gonna come to if he can get reading coverage and all his checkdowns done. its good he’s getting down the skills he needs to be able to make it.

6. bigfan says:

Steve Young spoke of his improvements. Steve was also one of his biggest critics. You can rest assured Tim ain’t taking it easy for the next 6 weeks.

7. tisa says:

I think this is great news!!