Report: Patriots to sign Tim Tebow (Good Job Tisa)

Mike Garafolo

Bill Belichick is now just kicking the New York Jets while they’re down. Tim Tebow is on his way to Foxborough to join the New England Patriots.

The former Jets and Denver Broncos quarterback and utility player is expected to sign with the Patriots on Tuesday and be on the field this week for the team’s minicamp, ESPN is reporting.

The reported signing contradicts recent reports that Belichick didn’t like Tebow as a player and that Tebow had given up on his chances of continuing his NFL career following his disaster of a season with the Jets in 2012, when he was passed over for Greg McElroy late in the season after Mark Sanchez lost his starting job.

Belichick certainly hasn’t given up on Tebow. And if any coach or team is best suited to handle the sideshow Tebow brings, it’s Belichick and the Patriots.

Tim Tebow is signing with the New England Patriots

This is not a test. I repeat, this is not a test.
By Chris Chase – June 10, 2013 at 5:31pm EDT
Last month, Yahoo! Sports quoted a Bill Belichick source who said the coach “hated” Tim Tebow as a football player. Belichick refuted that statement last week. On Monday, Belichick proved it wasn’t just talk.

Tim Tebow will sign with the New England Patriots and is expected to be in mini-camp Tuesday, ESPN reported.

Go crazy, Internet.

Playing in June mini-camp is a long way away from a September roster, so let’s all calm down and figure out how many Super Bowls Belichick and Tebow will win together. (I say nine.)

Dan Shanoff of USA TODAY Sports had been predicting the move for months, citing offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels’ relationship with Tebow (McDaniels drafted him in Denver), the Belichick-Urban Meyer connection and Tom Brady’s unwavering status as the No. 1 quarterback. Throw in Belichick’s love of nonconformity and Tebow’s ability to put the team above himself and it’s a natural fit.

Then there was this cardinal rule of Tebow-mania. ”Just when you think things can’t get any more crazy, they do,” Shanoff wrote.

By that maxim, expect Taylor Swift to be on Tebow’s arm when he arrives at camp.

The New England Patriots are expected to sign quarterback Tim Tebow and have him in minicamp by Tuesday, according to ESPN.

Fox News

Tebow spent last season with the New York Jets, but only saw limited action. He finished the season with just eight passing attempts for 39 yards and zero touchdowns, and the Jets cut him on April 29.

As weeks went by with Tebow still unemployed, it seemed possible he may never play in the NFL again. Yahoo! Sports reported in May that New England head coach Bill Belichick did not like Tebow and that he said there was “no chance” of Tebow coming to the Patriots.

Belichick later refuted that report, and told ESPNBoston.com that he wouldn’t rule out the team signing Tebow.

“I wouldn’t get into the probability of us pursuing any free agent,” Belichick said. “Every single player has strengths and weaknesses but regardless of that, for anyone to have represented that is the way I feel about Tim Tebow is completely untrue, baseless and irresponsible. It is unfortunate that something so inaccurate was reported.”

The Patriots’ signing of Tebow will reunite him with Josh McDaniels, New England’s offensive coordinator and former head coach of Tebow with the Denver Broncos.

McDaniels and the Broncos drafted Tebow in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft, and made him the full-time starter in 2011. Tebow led the Broncos to the playoffs and a first-round upset of the Pittsburgh Steelers after an 80-yard game-winning touchdown pass in overtime.

The Patriots will have Tebow study with the team’s tight ends, according to CBSSports.com’s Mike Freeman. “Tebow won’t exclusively study TE. But he’s also not just going to study QB,” Freeman tweeted.

The Patriots have not officially announced the signing of Tebow, but did announce that they cut backup quarterback Mike Kafka. New England’s quarterback depth chart also includes Ryan Mallett, who attempted just four passes last season

21 Responses to “Report: Patriots to sign Tim Tebow (Good Job Tisa)”

1. The Mascot Army says:

Sweet! Now the coward gms can start calling about mallet.

• jason says:

Mallet is gonna get his chance to start somewhere in time but tim does have a lot to do before being brady’s true backup. Belichick will expect the backup to run the offense like brady does which is gonna take some time for tim.
      We had this discussion a while back and you know I’m all for this move because long term I think this is tim’s best shot long term at QB. Very great to see this happen. I just gave up on the idea since belichick didn’t pick him up a few days after the draft.

• The Mascot Army says:

I’d say no more than any other new qb. Tebow now has an obI wan to mentor him in the ways of a qb.

• jason says:

Dude I’m happy about this. Its what I wanted cause its made so much sense in my mind for a long time now.
          Plus the hammer of belichick will take care of media as it always has.

2. BuzzyBuzzard says:

Well NFL Look out Now you had your chance I understand there was 4 or 5 other teams in the mix.

• jason says:

Where did you get that from buzzy, I heard it was only the patriots and with him knowing its gonna be 4+ years before he becomes starting QB I can’t see why he’d pick them over other teams with a quicker chance to get the starting job. Just wondering. I understand if you can’t point straight to a source that just seems odd if he had other choices that he’d go with the patriots since he won’t be used only as a QB by belichick.
      Buzzy Says: Iwas told this morning their was News coming out today at 2 Pm and there were 4 teams talking to T2 then tisa made that post as i was on the phone with my source.

• The Mascot Army says:

He’s learned his lesson about being on teams with both unstable and unsupportive management.

• jason says:

I hope he has its just his chance at starting QB is years away and so long as brady is healthy brady starts.

The interesting thing is gonna be if tim can get to work before brady does everyday. Tim’s got a work ethic like brady so they’ll probably get there at the same time. Lol!
          Its gonna be interesting.

I’m A-OK with Tim sitting for a year, two years now. It’s great to see Tim in a place where he’s surrounded by winners. What a contrast to the loljets.

Doesn’t mallet wear number 15, if not mallet another player wears it? I wonder what number Tim will get? I am so excited I can’t wait to hear about mini camp next week!

• tisa says:

Buzzy and Jason- I had my eye on the internet and TV all day today because Timmy flew out of the Tampa area this morning and my tweeps and I knew he was not going to a speaking engagement (normally he would have been working out at IMG) and were hoping today would be the day we would hear something. Jason, you didn’t know this was going on, so how do you know there weren’t other teams interested? Don’t be such a downer, just let us be happy for Timmy. When T2 was in Ohio visiting Coach Meyer weekend before last the thought crossed my mind that he might be up there for a clandestine workout. I thought it was either that or he was completely discouraged and had turned to Meyer for support.I am just happy for him and the opportunity he has to work with Tom Brady, Belichick and Josh McDaniel. I am also glad he gets to be with some other Gators. Belichick likes the Gators.

I too wonder which other teams were in the mix, I bet some were places Tim was leary of, after what happened in New York. Tim likes Belichick too. Hopefully Tim has finally found his home! Go Tebow we never stopped believing.

So much for all those analyst who said Tim was done in the NFL!!!!!

• Larry says:

Ed Werder of ESPN reported he didn’t hear of any other teams who were interested in Tebow. Where did you hear 4 or 5 other teams?

• Larry says:

Sorry-was addressing the above question to Buzzy.

3. bigfan says:

This is the best place for Tim to learn and grow. Who knows what will happen however if God forbid Brady goes down with an injury????

Imagine…he is not only going to an organization that for all sakes and purposes is the classiest in the NFL in my book (the Kraft Family)Tim could be going to Disneyland!! God has a plan and it is fun to watch!!

God Bless America!!

Yes Belichick is consider one of the greatest coaches ever, and he is taking Tebow, tells you that Tim does have something special. I am sure all the naysayers and haters will line up with stories and a big bashing party. But who cares Tim has a team and it’s the Patriots.

Oh and we all know Josh McDaniels is the one who traded up to get Tim in Denver, Josh also seen something special in Tim.

4. Ren-Ren says:

AWESOME!!! The only news that MIGHT have been better for the hubby and I would have been TT signing with the 49ers XD

3rd time’s the charm!!! (I hope)

Wonderful. Now I can root for the Pats, too. Congrats, Tim.

Woo Hoo I have been jumping up and down excited for a while now! I read a post somewhere that said Tim could get dropped before the season because Belichick only keeps two quarterbacks during the season.

I hope Tim truly gets a chance to learn and compete. My hubby says Brady won’t be around much longer and who better to groom to take over the reins than Tebow!

Congrats Tebow!

I will enjoy the Patriots beating the Denver Broncos in the playoffs,Thrawn.You can have that over-the-hill has been choke artist Peyton Manning,Thrawn.

8. BuzzyBuzzard says:

From Spider

Submitted on 2013/06/12 at 1:25 am | In reply to andrea.

IF the patsies beat Denver it will be with timmy on the sideline holding the clipboard.

Buzzy Says :Ha Ha You Just cant be nice