Welcome To The Big Top

No Pro Sports League has done a better job of manipulating the Fans’ Passions better than the National Football League. More than a few people have asked me why I’ve made such a big deal out of the League’s treatment of Tim Tebow. The reason is simple. It sums up in a big fat nutshell, its treatment of all of the Fans.

The arrest and subsequent release by the Team of Seattle Seahawk Back-Up QB Josh Portis now has some speculating on whether the Pacific Northwest might now be Tebow Central. Oh, but it’s a Small Market. The “Circus” might be smaller and containable. Containable. Controllable. Managing Mediocrity. That’s the Name of the Real Game in Today’s NFL where Parity is just another way of saying an equal distribution of sloppy, lousy, unexciting, uninspiring Football.

At latest count, 72% of NFL Players will declare Bankruptcy within 3 years of leaving the League. In total, almost 90% of NFL Players face serious trouble in some form shortly after putting up the cleats. Divorce, Bankruptcy, Substance Abuse problems, Jail. And en ever-growing number aren’t even waiting for Retirement these days before tasting the fruits of the dark side. But Tim Tebow’s “Cult-Like” Following is the “Circus”.

A League that makes Rob Gronkowski apologize for Partying with Fans, yet does nothing when Players curse out those Fans, is so thoroughly lost it’s almost hard to imagine how it will ever find its way.

But that’s not at all the true problem. It’s that nobody wants to talk about the true problems. Teams finally, grudgingly began to admit that the “problem” with Tim Tebow is that he’s “too popular to sign”. If anything better says the League has allowed its Control-Freak Nature to completely Trump its Good Sense, I don’t know what it would be.

I’ve called for Tebow Fans to Stand Up…Don’t Cower. That’s what the NFL GM’s and Owners are doing. But folks say “Oh, that will infuriate them even more.” Good. Maybe the Owners will wake up and start turning some of their fury where it should be. At how completely lost the League has become on their Watch. Like NBC’s Arrest Watch for NFL Players. Something they do for No Other League. When the NBA has been surpassed in the Bad Boy League Dept, that alone should have told the NFL it needs to get its act together…and fast.

What does the NFL do instead? Work to marginalize the one Player who SHOULD be the Face of the League. The other Faces the League’s shown lately are really ugly. And getting uglier by the day.

Now NY Jets newest Phenom, Geno Smith, has signed on Roc Nation to be his Agents. Why? Because, despite having no dealings with the NFL, they’re Jay-Z’s Agency. They’re not even trying to hide this stuff anymore. Like the look Football Fans? Cause you’re going to get a whole lot more of it.

But hey, at least it’s not that Tebow Circus.
..SportsBabe Brandi

Buzzy Says : Here is Brandi to pick on some more.

34 Responses to “Welcome To The Big Top”

The Geno Smith flame-out shouldn’t take long at all. The Jets defense is good enough that with Sanchize at QB they can win another 7 games in another miserable season. But maybe fewer than 7. Idzik = Idiot.

Sure, I’d like to “stand up” and help force the NFL to grow a brain. But how are we supposed to do that? Millions of us have already tried to help Congress see the light on important issues, but our faxes, phone calls and emails go straight to the abyss. It’s the age of the arrogant ruling class. Watching the flame-out may be the only satisfaction.

• The Mascot Army says:

“Age of the arrogant ruling class” is dead on!

I’m not so much going to boycott the NFL as much as be bored by it. Once you watch Tebow play, most everything else seems to pale in comparison. I’ll have the local games on in the background on Sundays, but I wont be watching every play. I’ll check my fantasy team at night. That’s about it. Boring. It’s a shame that so many bottom rung teams have opted for safe, mediocre, and boring over roller coaster exciting. Yeah, I’m talking to you, AZ, CLE, BUF, JAX, and TEN; good luck with that perpetual rebuilding.

• Larry says:

Very well put. Couldn’t agree more.

• Larry says:

I meant that above compliment & agreement to both Sage & TMA.

• Thrawn says:

Geno Smith is a train wreck waiting to happen. Perfect for the Jets. I wanna turn away, but just can’t out of morbid curiosity.

Heard Geno Smith when he visited teams prior to the draft, some found him in group meetings seeming more interrested in his i-phone than anything else.

Not gonna end well for him.

Geno Smith is a joke and a diva! I heard at OTA’s yesterday he was 3 for 10 with one interception and Sanchez threw 3 interceptions as well. The Jets will again be a joke again this year, they let their best quarterback go.

And to all who said the circus left with Tebow wow that is a big joke as well, the circus was there before Tebow arrived and is in full swing now after Tebow is gone.

I cannot wait to see how their season plays out and the downfall of Rex Ryan and company!

• The Mascot Army says:

That’s one of the few things I look forward to this upcoming season.

2. Harry Apol says:

THE NFL “Black-Balling” OF TIM TEBOW- of which -> the Problem is of an NFL Wide Orchestration:
    Now -> No One NOW has the GUTs to give Tim Tebow a FAIR SHOT !

Logic, Truth, and a Candid Reality Check!!
    The only significant element of the advertised “Polarizing of Tim Tebow”->

(NewSpeak Code Word “Polarizing” meaning “Too MUCH CHRISTIAN !”)

That could cause such an almost conspiratorial blanket affect of Hate on TT,
    is his consistent unashamed BOLD expression of his Faith in his Lord and Saviour “Jesus Christ”.

All the continual negative Hate tirades that are consistently emanating – from so many diverse
    Sources -> having nothing close to being in common, except that and that alone!

Although they try to couch it with other variables that were previously common to many players – who had minimal attacks on them and No Real Hate continually dumped upon them from the NFL to the News Media. Even to the extreme example of the Late Night TV comedian that said if he had the choice between shooting Ben Liden or Tim Tebow in the head, he would have difficulty deciding which one to kill.??

In reality this is really an all out campaign of EVIL that is sourced right out of the PIT OF HELL and is directly related to Spiritual Warfare.

Those of us that are Christians Should Take a Stand, and if this Garbage continues, and Tim Tebow is NOT given a fair chance this SEASON:
    Consider this Process -> How about SOME REAL..> Truth and JUSTICE?

For: Ignorance is not always bliss..
    And: Choices do have Consequences..>
    Luke 18:7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
    Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
    Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

It is NOT in Tim Tebow’s hands, BUT know it – Justice will Prevail!
    And There are SOME BROTHERS IN CHRIST WHO WILL SUPPORT HIM !!

**WE SHOULD START A BOYCOTT OF THE NFL!! **
    (They do understand the loss of $$)

– Many of US have had enough, of the disparity of treatment that the Perverts, Murderers, Drug addicts, and other Convicted Criminals of NFL PLAYERs get that, many times, seems much more favorable TREATMENT than that the HATE Campaign against Tim Tebow has given him!

Absolutely and Only because of his BOLD,
    Un-ashamed STAND FOR JESUS CHRIST. Enough is Enough !!

BOYCOTT THE NFL – UNTIL THIS HATE CAMPAIGN AGAINST TIM CEASES !

I agree 100% with Brandi on this one.

4. Bigfan says:

God does have a plan for Tim. I am looking forward to watching it unfold. Really!!

5. lex says:

go brandi!

hope the people in nyc at nfl headquarters can get a copy of this well-written piece.

6. Lynn says:

To you all: As I read your words on this tread I am reminded of the Apostle Paul saying, “follow me as I follow Christ” (I Cor. 11:l), and also of the example that Tim Tebow lives out before us that we might follow him as he follows our Savior.

Do we hear Tim speaking against the NY Jets? No, he is silent. Do we hear him slandering Geno Smith by repeating unsubstantiated news reports about his character? No, Tim is silent, and based on Tim’s past behavior; one would expect if he spoke that he would say positive things about the young signal caller and wish him well.

When Tim has spoken about the Broncos he has shown the utmost respect towards the players, the management, and the organization. I have never heard him speak ill against the NFL, and one would assume based on the life-long investment Tim has made in playing for them that he has some measure of respect for them as an organization. Yet somehow, those who call themselves Tebow fans think they can and should bully and boycott the NFL into operating as the outspoken Tebow fans think they should. I would suggest to you again that not only do you not represent the masses of Tebow fans; you most certainly do not represent Tim Tebow who would never do such a thing.

I have to laugh at Harry citing, “avenge not yourselves… for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord” (Rom. 12:9), even as he suggests vengeance and taking matters into your own hands. That seems to me to be a sad disconnect.

May I remind you that when Paul wrote commanding Christians to be subject to the governing authorizes (Rom 13:1), Nero was emperor, and he was impaling Christians on stakes and setting them aflame to light the road to Rome. Of these corrupt authorizes Paul said, you who call yourselves Christians, you be subject to them even though they surely are energized by the very forces of Satan himself.

Romans 13:1, goes on to say that there is no authority except God Himself has raised up that authority AND I WOULD DARE TO GUESS THAT INCLUDES THE POWERS THAT BE WITHIN THE NFL AND FRANCHISE MANAGEMENT AS WELL. How soon we forget that God’s ways are not our ways and He often uses tragedy and even evil people to accomplish His good purposes.

So my dear friends, when you stand up against these NFL people in authority and when you rail against them, I would suggest to you that YOU ARE STANDING AGAINST THE VERY HAND OF GOD. I have heard Tim say on occasion that he would not go against or would not speak against those God has put in charge of him. I would encourage you to follow Tim as he follows Christ even if only in these matters that so personally affect Tim’s life.

• Lynn says:

CORRECTION: my fifth paragraph, last line, should read authorities, not authorizes…

“Of these corrupt AUTHORITIES Paul said, you who call yourselves Christians, you be subject to them even though they surely are energized by the very forces of Satan himself.”

• Thrawn says:

Dunno. Tebow himself has said nothing bad about his former teams, but it seems his brother Peter Tebow has taken on the role of “bad cop” with some of his commentary. I direct you to his twitter comments after the Baltimore game last January.

I also don’t think this “campaign against Tebow” is much to do with Christianity as many seem to think that is what the problem is. There are plenty of outspoken Christians in the NFL that never got this kind of bad press.

NFL’ers and those running teams have HUGE egos. They see a kid struggling out there, one you have to kinda treat differently from the norm when it comes to playcalling and building teams. Hs dyslexia sort of makes some of the learning curve problematic without more “hands on” time (translates to giving him game time whether the coaching staff believes his is the best one on the roster or not.) Couple that with a media that is absolutely ga ga over him, asking when he will play and droping suggestions to coaching staffs that they should put him in. Coaches HATE that. In fact, I think that might have been part of why Rex Ryan avoided starting him all together when he had that “Not gonna let the media tell me what to do” type thing. I’m guessing at least 30 head coaches feel the same way. Most of the rest of the teams know that is coming too if they grab Tebow off the unemployed list and are avoiding the circus all together.

I think this anti-Christian thing is grasping at straws. There are those put off by it, but I don’t think that is what is driving all that. What seems to be doing the most damage is the circus COMBINED with the perception that he just isn’t very good. People just don’t like unjustified hype, and Tebow had a whole warehouse of that before he even joined the NFL. He had been on the media radar as “the chosen one” long before he was even in college.

• Lynn says:

Thrawn: You missed the point of my post; I am not saying Tim’s NFL woes are because he is a Christian. That may be a secondary issue for Tim, but I do not see it as primary. However, I am not addressing Tim at all, but speaking to the response of the writers on this thread and the author of the article on which we are commenting.

As for Peter Tebow being the bad cop because of one comment he made on twitter, I would say that is a stretch, he likely speaks only for himself, and his words were actually rather benign and never should have made the news. But let that be a lesson to us that random things said on the internet are never personal and can very quickly go viral at the most unexpected time.

• Thrawn says:

Wasn’t completely directed at your comments, but religious persecution seems to come out… A LOT… when people are discussing wht Tebow is in the situation he is.

I don’t buy it. It might be why a lot of people don’t like Tebow, but it has little or nothing to do with why he seems unwanted.

• jason says:

Thrawn it’s not to do with his faith at all. Ray lewis was nonstop about his faith in God and kap kisses celebrates God all the time as well.
        Its all about how coaches and GMs that need a QB see his ability toward their offense.
        Still though people that are just gonna see him as great aren’t going to consider that he has limitaions and a skill set that doesn’t fit what teams seem to want and those that do already have a QB.
        Then when you throw his media attention in it really pushes everyone of the fence.
        Him needing to do it hands on to get everything down doesn’t help him either.

I’m at a loss for seeing tim getting a shot with everything added up, I hope he does but I can’t see it right now with how he’s viewed around the league. I just don’t see it right now and everyone asked publicly pretty much pay lip service about him so they don’t create a huge story but then by their actions its a very different story.
        Hopefully he really has greatly increased his passing skills this offseason. Its not at all because of his faith though toward him not being in the league right now.

• tisa says:

Oh no, no, no, any hype Tebow had in high school and college was well justified. Say what you want about the NFL, but don’t try to down play Tebow’s college career. He will definitely be in the College Hall of Fame

• jason says:

I’m not at all. There’s no debate about the greatness of his high school and college career that can ever be made. Its foolish if anyone tries to say he wasn’t one of the greatest players ever in college.
          Once a player is in the NFL I only look at NFL time and tape when it comes to ability. I do like to consider the college play but being that I know the people in the NFL don’t its pointless to consider anymore. Its only those NFL games that they’ll look at now that he’s started.

• tisa says:

I meant for this reply to go to Thrawn’s comment about Tebow having “a whole warehouse of unjustified hype before the NFL”. Somehow it got under your comment instead, sorry!

• Brandi says:

How could I have missed those commercials? I didn’t realize the NFL is actually Hebrew National is disguise.

• The Mascot Army says:

I respectfully write “give me a break.” First, Tebow is probaby a better person than I am, and second it is more appropriate to turn the other cheek when you are the one being slapped, and an entirely different thing when you see somebody else being slapped. I can say John Fox is a horrible head coach who mismanaged Tebow from day 1 and Rex Ryan loves Sanchez and wrought havoc on Tebow’s career without violating what it means to be a tebow fan.

You may half have a point with people writing about geno smith, but it is hard to not hold the qb the jets kept to the same standards that would be held up against the one they released. It is also nearly irresistible to yearn for poetic justice.

Part of being a fan is rooting for something as well as defending it. I dont understand this new push that being a Tebow fan requires not telling anybody you think he’s great, as well as not telling anybody that you disagree with the NFL retreads who are passing on him.

I also disagree with those of you claiming there is absolutely no personal biases involved in his bashing. It has been there ever since the harmless focus on the family commercial. It’s more an abortion thing than a christian thing. ANd please stop using Ray Lewis as proof against the bias…the condescending media doesnt mind religious blacks.

• Thrawn says:

Not buying it as a race/Christian thing either.

They didn’t really mind Kurt Warner either and he was FAMOUSLY Christian. i really think this blaming it on biases against his religion is just an excuse. Yes, there are a lot of people who hate that sort of thing with a passion. Believe me, I’ve seen both ends of the spectrum, and I believe there are just as many Tebow fans who love the kid simply BECAUSE of his religion and values. So I call that a wash.

But I also think that excuse deflects from his REAL problems.

• The Mascot Army says:

For arguments sake, not because I buy the christian bias entirely, Kurt Warner was the best player in the league for a few years, and he was already a superstar by time he came out of the closet. Tebow was known from college.

• Andrea says:

Seems like revisionist history to me.Did’nt the N.F.L owners and head coaches and general managers think so highly of Kurt Warner they let him stock grocery shelves for a couple of years?
          And you constantly talk about Ray Lewis and his outspoken christian faith but you also constantly fail to mention he found God only after he left two men to die in a parking lot.He did plead GUILTY in a court of law.
          Since I have never even heard of Tebow beating up anyone,the comparison of Tebow to Ray Lewis IN ANY WAY is insulting.

• Larry says:

andrea: Kurt Warner wasn’t a devout Christian when he went undrafted. Kurt didn’t get much notice from the NFL because he not only went to a lesser school (Northern Iowa), but also was the starting QB there for only his senior year. Not exactly stellar credentials to be entering the draft with. He eventually became a Christian because of his future wife Brenda. The Warners detail this in their book “First Things First”. A little of the story’s also in this documentary about him:

Although Ray Lewis probably is guilty of the murders, he pled guilty to obstruction of justice, not murder. From wikipedia: “Lewis’s attorneys, Don Samuel and Ed Garland, of the Atlanta law firm Garland, Samuel & Loeb, negotiated a plea agreement with Howard, where the murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting, and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice. Lewis admitted he gave a misleading statement to police on the morning after the killings.”

• jason says:

I’m not at all against defending him or any player. I just think perspective on it is important.
        I just am not big on like or dislike of a player or team to be what is used to support if a player is great or not. I’m not knocking peoples feelings just to say that looking at all the sides is important and looking at everything with a player not just pick and choose.

Just so. +1000

7. jason says:

If the NFL is so bad then why do you want tim in it?
    I just don’t get the viewpoint that the NFL is so bad and screwed up somehow. Brandi your stuff is always a good read I just don’t get why you seem to have an axe to grind with the NFL.
    Sure some people don’t find it entertaining but plenty do. Its like any product, not everyone will like what they do but that doesn’t discount all the ones that love the product. I wouldn’t mind if they did somethings different but they own it not me so its not my call.

8. jason says:

Hey also everyone please send any help you can to the good folks out in oklahoma. I’ve got a friend that went out there for clean up and its so much worst than TV shows. Let’s all keep them in our prayers and anyone that can please donate to the relief effort.

9. Lynn says:

Some of you may be encouraged by this great advice to Tim from Tony Dungy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2JRnMqsL7c&feature=youtu.be