By James Walker | ESPN.com
New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan said at the NFL owners meetings that Tim Tebow is still in the mix for their starting quarterback job.
“He’s on the roster, and he’ll get a chance to compete,” Ryan said Tuesday in Arizona. “We’ll see how the offseason plays out, but right now Tim is on our roster.”
All I can do is shake my head.
The Jets, for some reason, remain in full spin mode this offseason. It’s at the point now where you cannot believe some of the things Ryan, owner Woody Johnson and general manager John Idzik are saying.
For example, New York says the team is not shopping star cornerback Darrelle Revis. Yet, there are various reports the Jets have already engaged in talks with teams like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Francisco 49ers. Revis also is upset and making comments about the Jets. But New York wants you to believe nothing is going on.
On Tuesday the bad rhetoric was about Tebow, who has as much chance to start for the Jets next season as Browning Nagle. Ryan proved last year he doesn’t believe in Tebow. When the Jets benched Mark Sanchez last season, they overlooked Tebow for third-stringer Greg McElroy. That was the last straw for “Tebow Time” in New York.
New York is getting out of the Tebow business, either with a trade or release. The thought of Tebow competing with Mark Sanchez, David Garrard and whoever else for New York’s starting job next season is simply a pipe dream.