Must-Read Column: Rex Finally Becomes an NFL Head Coach

This is a very bold, provocative column & prediction by someone I’m still not sure I believe knows what she’s/he’s talking about. But, since Hall of Famer-& major Tebow supporter-Michael Irvin is also predicting Tebow will start, I thought I’d post it.

If he’s healthy, it’s likely Rex will turn to Tim Tebow to start against his Hometown Jacksonville Jaguars over today’s hero of MetLife Stadium, Greg McElroy.

There might be some language in this-I can’t remember.

20 Responses to “Must-Read Column: Rex Finally Becomes an NFL Head Coach”

1. Brooke says:

I know I have no right to ask anyone to do anything, but I’m going to make a request of everyone here, anyway. Right now, most of us Tebow fans are angry & convinced that Rex Ryan didn’t play Tim this year, b/c he hates Tebow w/an Elwayesque passion &/or was getting even w/his boss for forcing Tebow on him. But, it’s just possible that Brandi’s right, & this was simply Rex’s cowardly way of easing out Sanchez (that’s what she said on twitter). Just as it’s never a good idea to insult one’s own boss, it’s also never a good idea to insult the superiors of someone you care about. So, I’m asking-no, begging-everyone on here to PLEASE not send insulting tweets, emails, Facebook messages, etc to any of Tim’s superiors, coworkers, the media, etc. If you want to vent, please feel free to vent here. But the season’s not over yet & Tim still might get a chance to play, which is what he wants. By raking his superiors over the coals in a way that could get back to them, we’d be decreasing that chance from happening. We’d be hurting Tim. So, please, don’t.

Seems odd to me that the Jets owner (Woody Johnson)would have ever agreed to let Tebow be a punt protecter if his main concern was to have Tebow be the starting QB.Any intelligent person knows that putting Tebow in other football positions (tight end, running back,wide receiver,punt protecter) would increase the odds of him being injured.My feeling is the owner wanted Tebow as a publicity stunt to grab the media attention and sell tickets.
    So if the writer is correct and they start Tebow- he has to be winning games right off the bat.No room for error as the Jets fans will be screaming for McElroy if Tebow falters for one second – after all McElroy has a one game winning streak and Tebow does’nt.
    I feel sorry for Tebow,McElroy and Sanchez – they have a front office,owner and coaching staff that does’nt have a clue.

3. BuzzyBuzzard says:

Well this is well writen but i dont think Rex is going to start T2 in Jax even i would love to see that But i dont thinl Tim ribs will be good by then I think He will Start McElroy.and Tim May be done for the Year and i know no one wants to hear that Mr Johnson is the key depends how much presure he Brings.
    GBPT2

• Brooke says:

I read on twitter that Rex said in the post-game presser tonight that Tim could have played tonight. That might be just his own CYA for having him be active last week, though.

First the idiot Elway treated Tebow horribly and now the Jets Ryan is also treating Tebow horribly.I read on apost awhile back by someone who said Tebow while in college tried to choose a head coach with honor and integrity.It appears that the major difference between college football and NFL football is that there are no coaches or front office staff in the NFL that has any honor or integrity.
    Prime example is Elway.He gets in front of a T.V.press conference and says he would want his daughter to marry Tebow.Elway – who after marrying his first wife cheated on her like an alley cat – he was cheating on her so bad that she had to divorce the bum.Elway giving marriage advice to anyone after what he did?These people have no shame and unfortunately Tebow has to deal with these low-lifes.

• Brooke says:

There are probably still some guys in the NFL w/some integrity. There are those who would have everyone believe that there’s nobody w/integrity left in college football, either, yet there are some. As much as I’d like for Tim to have a coach w/integrity, integrity doesn’t guarantee thinking ‘outside the box’ or having courage. Ideally, I’d like Tim’s coach to have integrity & be innovative enough to know how to use Tim most effectively & be courageous enough to do that.

5. BuzzyBuzzard says:

Dont forget we are dealing with Big Big Big Money and it is a Business

6. tisa says:

I would not be surprised if Ryan started Sanchez again next week. He may have benched him to get his attention. Rex has made it very plain he believes in Sanchez. If he starts him again on the road and he does well, the fans in NY will be more accepting the week after. He didn’t want to bench him for Tebow because Tebow might have pulled off one of his amazing come from behind stellar performances. So, he deactivated Tim and put in McElroy.

• Brooke says:

I tend to agree. I think it will either be Sanchez or McElroy. So do most people on twitter & FB. That’s why I found Brandi’s & Irvin’s predictions surprising & posted them here.

Rex probably hopes that winning the last 3 games could earn the Jets a wild card. Thus, whoever he starts in Jacksonville will tell us what he really thinks.

Brandi’s reasoning made sense, but so does Andrea’s. We’ll know soon enough, but I wonder if there are any useful clues.

Before going to the Jets, Tim said he had a blast meeting Rex at the Super Bowl. From Tim’s perspective, at least, Rex probably seemed to be sincere and appreciative of his talent. One explanation for why Rex has cold-shouldered Tim for much of this season could be awareness by Rex that Sanchez was feeling heavy pressure. I couldn’t blame Rex for wanting to take the Sanchez experiment as far as it could go.

I’m taking the view that it’s good whether Tim starts in Jacksonville or not. If so, then the good thing is he gets a chance to perform and do what we’d all love to see. If not, then it’s for the better because–in that scenario–it would be obvious that Rex and Sparano don’t believe in him. If they don’t believe in him, then the last thing I want to see is Tim trying to slamming into the line of scrimmage like he’s nothing but a fullback. As a Tebow fan, it’s been a tough 11 months for me. But there is still some hope he may find a good situation in 2013 somewhere like Jax.

Thank you for Tebowzone. This is about the only place to be a Tebow fan these days.

• Brooke says:

It’s also possible Tim will still be too injured to play. Or that Rex will use that as an excuse. I’ve given up even trying to predict what Rex is going to do, b/c I still can’t figure out anything he’s done.

‘If they don’t believe in him, then the last thing I want to see is Tim trying to slamming into the line of scrimmage like he’s nothing but a fullback.’

That’s my concern, too. Given how desperate Tim is to prove himself & get the team a win, I wouldn’t put it past him to do that with broken ribs. He lied about having a headache before the 2009 LSU game, so he’d be allowed to play, & I fear he’d do something crazy like this, too.

It just dawned on me what would really tell us that Rex has absolutely no use for Tim: if he starts McElroy-or even Sanchez-the next game and has Tim play on special teams, or WR, etc. That will be the final nail in the proverbial coffin, imho.

Thank you for the TZ compliment & for commenting. Take care.

• Ang says:

I’m in total agreement, Sage!

Er, I guess there are 4 games left. I’m having a hard time caring about the NFL this year.

9. jason says:

The jets have to have lots of help besides just winning the rest of their games because the colts are in the cat bird seat right now with either the ravens or steelers being a wildcard. The jets would need those teams to lose a bunch of games and the jets would have to win every game.
    Though I have my doudts that rex will get fired at the end of the season as things are now he’d get his job saved for sure if they win a bunch. Then he’d be left to screw next season up and put a bad product on the field. It would help tebow to play really well but if he doesn’t with that team of little talent it could harm him. Just something to consider.

• Brooke says:

‘It would help tebow to play really well but if he doesn’t with that team of little talent it could harm him.’

That’s exactly it. This team is terrible, including the coaching. It takes a talented OC to know how to use Tim. Sparano’s in his 1st year as an OC, has no idea what he’s doing, & supposedly has admitted that sometimes football games move too quickly for him! If I thought Tim could rally this team like he did last year, I’d be in favor of him playing. But, as you said earlier, I doubt even Tom Brady could do anything w/these players & this OC.

10. BuzzyBuzzard says:

TISA you hit right on the head they will start Sanbchez with McElroy as backup and Tim will Be DEACT.

11. susie b says:

You know the opening sequence of ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’? Where all you hear are prayers for George Bailey, one after the other & then coming so thick & fast they are on top of each other?

Well, the time has come. We shall soon seen the work of Tebow’s Guardian Angel & can I say, not a minute TOO SOON! Get ready for a “bell to ring”. :)